Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Chua, Hin" <Hi...@DrKW.com> on 2005/06/08 13:41:45 UTC

Distributing dependent resources (external configuration files)

Hi,

I've got a bit of a sticky problem and I was wondering if any of the Maven
gurus in this list wuold be able to help.

We have a common messaging package that we have set up as a Maven project in
our local repository.

This 'messaging project' consists of a single jar file and multiple
user-editable text configuration files (which CANNOT be included inside the
jar). This project utilised by several other projects in our organisation
and is listed as a Maven dependency in each of the latter's project.xml
files.

As a result, it's very easy to update the messaging jar in the other
projects as it change; we just run the Eclipse 'generate-classpath' goal to
suck down the latest version of the messaging jar. However, we are unable to
easily update the external configuration files; we have to manually copy
these from the messaging project to any other project that utilises them. As
the number of projects that utilise the messaging jar grows, this is
becoming a major hassle.

Is there a Maven-friendly approach to distribute these configuration files
to other projects in a manner similar to distributing the messaging jar? As
in, run some magical goal in a project and have all these dependent
resources be updated. The only solution I can currently think of involves a
lot of evil jelly/ant hackery in a custom plugin to pull the dependent
resources from CVS... but surely there must be a cleaner solution?

thanks in advance,
Hin

http://www.drkw.com/disc/email/ or contact the sender. 3167