Posted to user@giraph.apache.org by David Garcia <dg...@potomacfusion.com> on 2012/02/03 17:30:51 UTC

creating non existing vertices by sending messages

I just wanted to send this out because I remember reading a discussion on
this topic.  Currently, graph will create a vertex in the graph if a
message is sent to a vertexID that doesn't exist.  Personally, I really
really like this behavior.  It enables me to forgo vertex creation if I
don't need it.  If I need the vertex, I can simply send a message to
create it, and process the message that was sent.  I understand that there
are some concerns with this. . .I would suggest making this behavior
configurable at job creation.  This would be an awesome compromise, and
would not preclude either type of behavior.

-David

Re: creating non existing vertices by sending messages

Posted by Avery Ching <ac...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the comments David.  The behavior of what happens is
completely defined by the chosen VertexResolver, see
(GiraphJob#setWorkerContextClass).  Developers can implement any
behavior they want.  I believe the only reason to bypass was as a
performance optimization.

Avery

Posted by Claudio Martella <cl...@gmail.com>.

--