Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Tomas Zezula <to...@oracle.com> on 2016/03/03 13:49:23 UTC

Jigsaw Support

Hi,
I am working on the NetBeans Ant based project. For the upcoming NetBeans release I need to
update the NetBeans generated build scripts to support the JDK 9 module system. The most problematic
is the Java task which need to support main module execution in addition to jar and main class.
Also the javac task should be updated to support modulepath and moduleupgradepath.
Is someone working on such a changes?
If not I am proposing the following changes to the Java task which should be integrated when the Jigsaw will be merged to JDK9:
https://github.com/apache/ant/pull/15

Thanks a lot,
— Tomas

Re: Jigsaw Support

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Hi Tomas

welcome to the dev list.

On 2016-03-03, Tomas Zezula wrote:

> I am working on the NetBeans Ant based project. For the upcoming
> NetBeans release I need to update the NetBeans generated build scripts
> to support the JDK 9 module system. The most problematic is the Java
> task which need to support main module execution in addition to jar
> and main class.  Also the javac task should be updated to support
> modulepath and moduleupgradepath.

I must admit that I haven't been following the changes close enough, but
I'm sure they are seriously impacting all the build tools.

> Is someone working on such a changes?

At least I am not, not sure if anybody else is.

> If not I am proposing the following changes to the Java task which
> should be integrated when the Jigsaw will be merged to JDK9:
> https://github.com/apache/ant/pull/15

I'll take a look at that. When I tried to build Ant on some earlier JDK9
EAs I realized JDK9 will no longer support targeting Java5, which is
Ant's baseline. So in order to properly support building for Java9,
we'll likely need to give up Java5. I'll start a separate thread for
this discussion.

Cheers

        Stefan