Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> on 2003/06/26 16:41:45 UTC

Plugin Summary

Hi,

I just wanted to summarize some of the past few emails regarding
properties use in plugins and the files used to define plugins.

As far as the files used to define plugins I think the best idea came
from Mark H. Wilkinson where the standard file names are used but they
are just placed in a different directory so that the build files are
distinct from the runtime files. So within a plugin I was thinking just
a slight variation on what Mark suggested and make the directory that
contains the runtime files src/plugin-runtime. So we have something
like:

 plugin
   project.xml
   project.properties
   maven.xml
   /src
     /java
       /org ...
     /plugin-resources ...
     /plugin-runtime
       maven.xml
       project.properties
   /xdocs

This way we have the distinction but can still use the same mechanism
internally. I definitely think this is a great idea.

As far as property accessing within a plugin:

${maven.compile.target}

to access properties defined by the plugin itself and

${plugins.antlr.src.dir}

to access properties defined in other plugins, this example showing
access to the antlr plugin's properties.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Plugin Summary

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 12:51, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 10:41, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>

> > ${plugins.antlr.src.dir}
> >
> > to access properties defined in other plugins, this example showing
> > access to the antlr plugin's properties.
>
> The only problem with this is that jexl(velocity) doesn't deal with this
> very well as I soon found out. So something like:
>
> ${plugins.java.maven.compile.target}
>
> doesn't resolve but
>
> ${plugins.java.mavenCompileTarget}
>
> does.
>
> So we can either standardize on property names to follow the same
> convention as Java variables or come up with a different way to access
> properties from external plugins.

The properties as java variable names works just fine and as a final
option we could just use:

${plugin.<short-id>.<property>}

across the board for access to properties. One standard way no matter
what plugin you are in.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Plugin Summary

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.

Re: Plugin Summary

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 14:44, bob mcwhirter wrote:
> > As far as property accessing within a plugin:
> >
> > ${maven.compile.target}
>
> So, just like normal, right?

I was actually thinking of just making property access the same across
the board so everywhere it's just

${plugins.<short-plugin-id>.<property-name>}

So for example

${plugins.antlr.srcDir}

The alteration being that jexl/velocity won't work when it's like

${plugins.antlr.src.dir}

So there would be one style of access across the board.

> > to access properties defined by the plugin itself and
> >
> > ${plugins.antlr.src.dir}
> >
> > to access properties defined in other plugins, this example showing
> > access to the antlr plugin's properties.
>
> Sounds like a plan to me.
>
> +1.
>
> 	-bob

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Plugin Summary

Posted by bob mcwhirter <bo...@werken.com>.
> As far as property accessing within a plugin:
>
> ${maven.compile.target}

So, just like normal, right?