Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Rajiv Jain <ra...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/23 11:18:47 UTC

Mentor Request

Hi

My name is Rajiv and I am interested in working with the development of Apache Maven. I have recently started making contributions though Pull requests and would like to contribute to Apache Maven. I believe Apache Maven is in active development.

I saw the Mentoring Programme on the Apache website. I can contribute around 10 hours per week on issues/bugs/improvements or whatever is needed.

Could someone please become my mentor?

Thanks.

Regards,
Rajiv

Re: Mentor Request

Posted by Rajiv Jain <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Thanks for your e-mail.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Jul 2016, at 08:25, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 24 July 2016 at 18:34, Rajiv Jain <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Not really. I don't mind. Basically, where help is needed and important
>> features/improvements/fixes need to
>
> The [Guide to helping with Maven]{
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-helping.html} has all the
> information you need to start picking out ideas to start working on.
> But you will need [an itch to scratch]{
> http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/homesteading/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s02.html},
> without it you won't have the energy to keep going.

I will check this out.

> So, is your $dayjob using Java with Maven? Are they having problems that
> need addressing? Look to see if those have issues raised already and pick
> one to work on.

Yes, I use Java and Maven.

> If there aren't specific enhancements/fixes that your projects need, then
> look at which bits of Maven they use and then browse the issues for those
> areas and see if anything takes your interest.
> Based on which area you pick different people will have more knowledge to
> share. Create a new email on the dev list and/or comment on the issue.
>
> Alternatively, what is your area of Java expertise? Look through the issue
> log to see where it could be applied.

My core experience is using Spring & Java EE. However, I am interested in Core Java.
> Lastly, documentation still needs more work. As you use Maven, if you can't
> find the information that you need then create it so the next person
> doesn't have that pronlem.

Thanks for your advice. I will start picking issues that I think I can fix. I will take your advice on board.

Thanks once again for your help.

Regards,
Rajiv

Re: Mentor Request

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mentor Request

Posted by Rajiv Jain <ra...@gmail.com>.
Not really. I don't mind. Basically, where help is needed and important features/improvements/fixes need to occur.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Mentor Request

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.