Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2009/02/02 11:09:01 UTC

Re: password encryption in 2.1.x trunk

On 28/01/2009, at 5:48 AM, Oleg Gusakov wrote:

> After a long and interesting discussion last August (http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Secured+Passwords
> ) and several meetings with users, I felt it's overdue to do the
> actual implementation.
>
> I massaged my old, vintage 2007 code and put it into 2.1.x trunk.

Great! Been much anticipated :)

> * user encrypts a master password with CLI and stores it in ~/.m2/
> sec.xml
> ** there is an option to store it on a removable drive and reference
> that from ~/.m2/sec.xml

Any reason not to use a new field in settings.xml? I think 2.1.x can
be capable of updating the model version.

> * user encrypts server password with CLI ans stores it in settings.xml
> * Maven decrypts the password in memory and everything works like it
> was before
> ** help:effective-settings (tested) and other tools (did not test
> though) still show encrypted passwords

Sounds good. BTW, how is the encryption key configured?

What's left before this is releasable as part of 2.1.x?

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: password encryption in 2.1.x trunk

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 03/02/2009, at 12:03 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

>>> What's left before this is releasable as part of 2.1.x?
>> Just some manual testing and docs updates for the site when it's
>> ready.
>
> In the mean time, can someone please release the dependency so that
> we can move forward with the next milestone release? I think it's
> ready to go.

Oleg? This is all I'm really waiting on for 2.1.0-M2.

Thanks,
Brett

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 03/02/2009, at 1:24 AM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

>> Any reason not to use a new field in settings.xml? I think 2.1.x can
>> be capable of updating the model version.
>
> Why introduce a bunch of new work for this?

I'm just concerned that we make this exception here and suddenly we
have multiple files springing up in ~/.m2, and then having to
duplicate work like supporting $M2_HOME/conf/settings.xml.

It's not a showstopper.

> Also, we wanted to make it
> work in 2.0.x if possible. Since it's completely optional to use,
> there
> should be little downside risk to porting it back.

I'd really prefer we focused on getting 2.1 out, as you said, rather
than allow another excuse not to.

>> What's left before this is releasable as part of 2.1.x?
> Just some manual testing and docs updates for the site when it's
> ready.

In the mean time, can someone please release the dependency so that we
can move forward with the next milestone release? I think it's ready
to go.

- Brett

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
>Any reason not to use a new field in settings.xml? I think 2.1.x can
>be capable of updating the model version.

Why introduce a bunch of new work for this? Also, we wanted to make it