Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by shashanka tilak <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2006/04/20 18:03:07 UTC

derby exception

Hi,

  I am a new user of derby. I would like to learn and contribute for this project. I successfully compiled the derby source and I tried to run the SimpleApp.java provided as demo for starting derby in embedded mode. But, I get the following exception when I run the program. I did not jar the compiled classes. The classes are in exploded directory structure.  A new directory "derbyDB\log" was created. And derby.log shows the following exception. I would really appreciate if someone can give explanation.

  Thank you.

  2006-04-17 16:06:58.625 GMT Thread[main,5,main] Cleanup action starting
java.lang.NullPointerException
 at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.log.LogToFile.getFirstLogNeeded(LogToFile.java:2103)
 at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.log.LogToFile.deleteObsoleteLogfiles(LogToFile.java:3173)
 at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.log.LogToFile.stop(LogToFile.java:3156)
 at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.TopService.stop(TopService.java:404)
 at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.TopService.shutdown(TopService.java:348)
 at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.bootService(BaseMonitor.java:1866)
 at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.createPersistentService(BaseMonitor.java:1018)
 at org.apache.derby.iapi.services.monitor.Monitor.createPersistentService(Monitor.java:579)
 at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.createDatabase(EmbedConnection.java:1513)
 at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.<init>(EmbedConnection.java:224)
 at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection30.<init>(EmbedConnection30.java:72)
 at org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver30.getNewEmbedConnection(Driver30.java:73)
 at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.connect(InternalDriver.java:187)
 at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512)
 at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:140)
 at SimpleApp.go(SimpleApp.java:94)
 at SimpleApp.main(SimpleApp.java:61)
Cleanup action completed

---------------------------------

Re: derby exception

Posted by Suresh Thalamati <su...@gmail.com>.
shashanka tilak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a new user of derby. I would like to learn and contribute for this
> project. I successfully compiled the derby source and I tried to run the
> SimpleApp.java provided as demo for starting derby in embedded mode.
> But, I get the following exception when I run the program. I did not jar
> the compiled classes. The classes are in exploded directory structure.
> A new directory "derbyDB\log" was created. And derby.log shows the
> following exception. I would really appreciate if someone can give
> explanation.
>
> Thank you.
>
> 2006-04-17 16:06:58.625 GMT Thread[main,5,main] Cleanup action starting
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>  at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.log.LogToFile.getFirstLogNeeded(LogToFile.java:2103)

....<snip>

Was there any other error from the program or in the derby.log. The
NPE is not the real problem, as u see from the stack it is coming from
the shutdown as part of cleanup. NPE is just a side effect of  some
other error.

First thing, I would check is, if there is enough space on the disk ?
What JVM/OS are you using to run the demo ?

Thanks.
-suresh

Re: derby exception

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 4/20/06, shashanka tilak <sh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I get the following exception when I run the program. I did not jar the
> compiled classes. The classes are in exploded directory structure.  A new
> directory "derbyDB\log" was created. And derby.log shows the following
> exception. I would really appreciate if someone can give explanation.
>
> Thank you.
>
> 2006-04-17 16:06:58.625 GMT Thread[main,5,main] Cleanup action starting
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>  at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.log.LogToFile.getFirstLogNeeded(LogToFile.java:2103)

At this point in the code, a log file is expected to be in the log
directory, but from your comments the log file has not been created.
Do you have the correct permissions to read/write to the directory? Is
the disk full?

>From the exception you're getting, it would seem that uselessLogFile
is null, thus the call to getPath() throws a NullPointerException.
It's not quite clear to me how this could happen, but perhaps someone
more familiar with the store code could answer that question.

andrew