Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Hutchinson <mh...@manux.co.nz> on 2008/01/23 22:36:24 UTC

sa-learn errors.

Hi all.

I have been having issues with SA for a while, most of my requests for
help going unheard. I've managed to upgrade SA and fix most of the
errors, but am still getting a couple that I've not been able to fix
yet. Can someone please help with this ?

We are running Debian Sarge with SA 3.1.7 from backports.

Whenever I try to add new rules with sa-learn from our missed spam
folder, I get these errors. And, since I've tried to run them, I also
get these errors whenever I manually run spamd or Spamassassin:

mailserver:~# sa-learn --spam
/home/vpopmail/domains/mail.ourdomain.net/spam/Maildir/.Missed\
Spam.20080124/cur/

Bareword "MAX_URI_LENGTH" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line 2010.

Bareword "MAX_URI_LENGTH" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line 2012.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm
line 72.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 72.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/sa-learn line 78.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/sa-learn line 78.

I am used to getting similar sa-learn errors, but not ones that cause
problems when spamd or Spamassassin is manually run. Can anyone please
define what "strict subs" is used for and if I should disable it to
allow MAX_URI_LENGTH to work properly ?

Cheers,

Michael Hutchinson

<http://www.manux.co.nz>

RE: sa-learn errors.

Posted by Michael Hutchinson <mh...@manux.co.nz>.
John wrote:

> Those are compile errors in the core SA code. Your install appears to
> be corrupted.
>
> Has anyone been editing the files under /usr/share/perl5/Mail/ ?
>
> You will probably need to wipe and reinstall SA from scratch. Note
> that your local rules and bayes database shouldn't be affected by
> doing this.

Thanks for the reply, John. I believe there is a problem with more than
one perl5/Mail dir hanging around on the system, which I will be
addressing shortly - not that this should be an issue, SA is configured
to read one config directory, not two..

> You may have two different copies of SA installed, and one is bad.
> This can happen if you install SA from a distro package and then later
> attempt to install or upgrade from CPAN (or vice versa).

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head. I recently did an upgrade from
"dpkg -i" at the previous admin's recommendation. Methinks the method
used to install the original SA was different.. probably compiled,
though, instead of CPAN.

> Those are Perl language options; you shouldn't be fiddling around with
> that stuff unless you're an SA developer or you want to modify SA
> itself (as opposed to just creating rules or doing other common
> administrative tasks).

Ok. That I can understand. Thank-you very much for your response, John.
I now have a plan for the weekend to knock out SA completely and
re-install it after backup of Config and Bayes data.

Thanks again!
Cheers,
Michael.

Re: sa-learn errors.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Michael Hutchinson wrote:

> Bareword "MAX_URI_LENGTH" not allowed while "strict subs" in use
> at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line 2010.
>
> Bareword "MAX_URI_LENGTH" not allowed while "strict subs" in use
> at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line 2012.
>
> Compilation failed in require at
> /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 72.

Those are compile errors in the core SA code. Your install appears to
be corrupted.

Has anyone been editing the files under /usr/share/perl5/Mail/ ?

You will probably need to wipe and reinstall SA from scratch. Note
that your local rules and bayes database shouldn't be affected by
doing this.

> I am used to getting similar sa-learn errors, but not ones that
> cause problems when spamd or Spamassassin is manually run.

You may have two different copies of SA installed, and one is bad.
This can happen if you install SA from a distro package and then later
attempt to install or upgrade from CPAN (or vice versa).

> Can anyone please define what "strict subs" is used for and if I
> should disable it to allow MAX_URI_LENGTH to work properly ?

Those are Perl language options; you shouldn't be fiddling around with
that stuff unless you're an SA developer or you want to modify SA
itself (as opposed to just creating rules or doing other common
administrative tasks).

  We are hell-bent and determined to allocate the talent, the
  resources, the money, the innovation to absolutely become a
  powerhouse in the ad business.       -- Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer
  ...because allocating talent to securing Windows isn't profitable?
 4 days until Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's 252nd Birthday