Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Ghaith Bannoura <gb...@etq.com> on 2017/07/14 17:53:37 UTC

Upgrade CentOS 6.5 to 7

Hello All,

I have ACS 4.9.2 Advanced Zone with xen server 6.5 the management server is Centos 6.5 , is there any benefits / enhancement to upgrade it to CentOS 7

Best Regards,
Ghaith Bannoura

Re: Upgrade CentOS 6.5 to 7

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
+1 for Oliver’s suggestion – you would run into a lot of issues trying to upgrade from 6.5 to 7, you are much better off simply building a new CentOS7 management server and pointing this at your existing database before decommissioning your old 6.5 server.

Just keep in mind to *not* use the “deploy-as” option with cloudstack-setup-databases – simply use the instructions for “additional management servers” in http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.9/management-server/index.html#additional-management-servers . It’s also a good idea to back up your databases beforehand.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

On 15/07/2017, 09:35, "Oliver Dzombic" <in...@ip-interactive.de> wrote:

    Hi,

    upgrades where runlevel management significantly changes is always
    connected with a lot that can go wrong.

    Its not as worst as upgrading an older ubuntu to ubuntu 16, but you
    might end up being forced to replace the node.

    Its suggestable that you simply create fresh centos 7 and migrate the
    services.

    But in the very end, centos 6 has still some years left of update
    maintenance. So as long as you dont run into any compatibility issues,
    where you need centos 7 with its newer versions, you should stay with
    your centos 6.

    --
    Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards

    Oliver Dzombic
    IP-Interactive

    mailto:info@ip-interactive.de

    Anschrift:

    IP Interactive UG ( haftungsbeschraenkt )
    Zum Sonnenberg 1-3
    63571 Gelnhausen

    HRB 93402 beim Amtsgericht Hanau
    Geschäftsführung: Oliver Dzombic

    Steuer Nr.: 35 236 3622 1
    UST ID: DE274086107

Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: Upgrade CentOS 6.5 to 7

Posted by Oliver Dzombic <in...@ip-interactive.de>.
Hi,

Re: Upgrade CentOS 6.5 to 7

Posted by Makrand <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gaith,

CentOS 7 is significantly different than 6. e.g. 7 uses systemD. There are
a lot of other changes as well. Speaking purely from OS upgrade POV, I
think you will run into lots of issues after the upgrade.

From ACS POV, I don't see any major difference or advantage. (although I am
not very about this)

--
Makrand