Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Scott McClure <sc...@smartblob.com> on 2003/12/05 00:29:20 UTC

Status of the GenericDataSource

I am trying to connect to a Postgresql database using the Data-Source
functionality built into struts. Specifically, I am using the
|org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource. I have included all necessary
jars to run the BasicDataSource (commons-pooling, commons-dbcp, etc.)
and I have specified the type of may datasource to be the basic
datasource. Yet, for some reason, Struts keeps searching for the
GenericDataSource. Since this is legacy, it is not able to find it. Does
BasicDataSource depend on the GenericDataSource? Is there something else
I might be missing that would cause Struts to search for the
GenericDataSource?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Scott

Re: Status of the GenericDataSource

Posted by Barry Volpe <st...@childrencare.com>.
Did you include the
struts-legacy.jar found in struts 1.1 Final?

Barry

Posted by Derek Clarkson <dc...@waterwerks.com.au>.
Hi Scott,
	Not sure if you want to consider this, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway
;-)

I always put things like this in a small jar file (usually called common.jar).
I fill it with things such as common class for looking after datasources,
messages, resources, etc. Often there are specific business logic classes as
well. This has the advantage in that all projects (Struts, application, etc)
that use this jar file, all access these central resources in the same way.
in addition commonly used functions, logic, etc is centralised. This always
saves me time and effort in the long run.

With regard to datasources, by doing this I can then use standard JDBC and my
struts applications can remain blissfully ;-) ignorant of where the data is
coming from.

cio
Derek

On Friday 05 December 2003 10:29, Scott McClure wrote:
> I am trying to connect to a Postgresql database using the Data-Source
> functionality built into struts. Specifically, I am using the
>
> |org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource. I have included all necessary
>
> jars to run the BasicDataSource (commons-pooling, commons-dbcp, etc.)
> and I have specified the type of may datasource to be the basic
> datasource. Yet, for some reason, Struts keeps searching for the
> GenericDataSource. Since this is legacy, it is not able to find it. Does
> BasicDataSource depend on the GenericDataSource? Is there something else
> I might be missing that would cause Struts to search for the
> GenericDataSource?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
> Scott

Derek Clarkson