Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/09 20:42:48 UTC

Refresher on -1 on code mods

Hi All:

Since we just had a -1 on a code modification recently, I want to post a
reminder of what a -1 means in this case, for new committers please read
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html, specifically:

"For code-modification votes, +1 votes are in favour of the proposal, but
-1 votes are vetos and kill the proposal dead until all vetoers withdraw
their -1 votes."

and:

"A code-modification proposal may be stopped dead in its tracks by a -1
vote by a qualified voter. This constitutes a veto, and it cannot be
overruled nor overridden by anyone. Vetos stand until and unless withdrawn
by their casters.

To prevent vetos from being used capriciously, they must be accompanied by
a technical justification showing why the change is bad (opens a security
exposure, negatively affects performance, etc. ). A veto without a
justification is invalid and has no weight."

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/