Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Howard Fear <hs...@pooh.pageplus.com> on 1996/06/29 04:45:19 UTC

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: ".htpasswd not checked in current directory" on SunOS 4.x

Brian Behlendorf writes:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 1996 sameer@c2.org wrote:
> > > RST claimed this was a feature, not a bug. (and yes, it is the case)
> >
> > 	i agree with rst, fwiw. You shouldn't put the .htpass in the
> > current dir anyway.
>
> Forget it, it's a religious argument I suppose, whether tis better to
> backwards-support a misfeature or to mandate more intelligent config
> files.... ah well.

(Mis)feature or not, its a pretty natural thing to try when you first
start setting up secured areas.  Perhaps a more friendly approach would
be to re-enable it and spit errors to the error log to the effect that
relative paths will be removed in the next release.

--
Howard Fear      email1: howard_fear@pageplus.com
                 email2: howard_fear@stortek.com