Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk> on 2001/09/23 17:42:10 UTC

[C2] sample httpd.conf for TomCat 4 + C2

Hi

I am trying to get TomCat 4.0 and Cocoon 2.1b to run behind Apache 1.3.

I am trying this on MacOSX, and have downloaded installed and made
executable the (very conveniently pre-compiled) mod_webapp.so for my OS.

I have not edited the main httpd.conf file, I have mine in
/usr/libexec/httpd/users/tomcat.conf, it is automatically loaded by the
main one.

My conf file looks like this:

	LoadModule webapp_module libexec/httpd/mod_webapp.so
	AddModule mod_webapp.c
	WebAppConnection conn warp localhost:8008
	WebAppDeploy examples conn /examples
	WebAppDeploy cocoon conn /cocoon
	WebAppDeploy ROOT conn /

When I run:
	apachectl configtest

I get an 'Invalid virtual host name' error on line 4, ie. the line trying
to set up the 'examples' context.

Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

BTW. I am trying (ideally) to use the ROOT context of TomCat for Cocoon2
and have several separate sites within it as sub-sitemaps, so I can avoid
using mod-rewrite as is suggested in the Cocoon 2 FAQ, should this be
possible?

Thanks for any help

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <ma...@mac.com>     		 <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>
   <phone:+44.[0].20.7737.6831>             <pa...@vizzavi.net>

Re: [C2] sample httpd.conf for TomCat 4 + C2

Posted by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk>.

    Jeremy> I have this in a file loaded by the main httpd.conf

    Jeremy> LoadModule webapp_module libexec/httpd/mod_webapp.so
    Jeremy> AddModule mod_webapp.c DocumentRoot /cocoon ServerName
    Jeremy> localhost WebAppConnection warpConnection warp
    Jeremy> localhost:8008 WebAppDeploy /cocoon warpConnection /cocoon

I'm getting the same sort of problems as you've been reporting.

Is this lot inside a virtual server (if so, what does your
virtualserver tag look like?) or not?
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire

Re: [C2] sample httpd.conf for TomCat 4 + C2

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 1:45 PM +0100 25/9/01, Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>At 4:04 PM +1000 24/9/01, Jeff Turner wrote:
>>On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 04:42:10PM +0100, Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>

>>> I am trying to get TomCat 4.0 and Cocoon 2.1b to run behind Apache 1.3.
>>[..]

[snip]

This sample is beginning to work on my setup.

MacOSX 10.0.4, Apache 1.3.19, TomCat 4.0 and Cocoon 2.1b

I have this in a file loaded by the main httpd.conf

LoadModule webapp_module libexec/httpd/mod_webapp.so
AddModule mod_webapp.c
DocumentRoot /cocoon
ServerName localhost
WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
WebAppDeploy /cocoon warpConnection /cocoon

It almost works!

http://my.host/										404 from Apache (no static files??)
http://my.host/cocoon							404 from Apache
http://my.host/cocoon/						hangs (browser says 'connecting to
localhost')
http://my.host/cocoon/welcome 		works fine

How do I make it more 'resilient'?
How do I add more webapps?

Sorry but which Apache config tag do I put this in, so I can have one for
each TomCat context and defaults for regular Apache?

Thanks for any help.
Hopefully this can be be added to the FAQ if I can get it working properly ;)

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 4:04 PM +1000 24/9/01, Jeff Turner wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 04:42:10PM +0100, Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>> Hi
>>

>> I am trying to get TomCat 4.0 and Cocoon 2.1b to run behind Apache 1.3.
>[..]
>>
>> I get an 'Invalid virtual host name' error on line 4, ie. the line trying
>> to set up the 'examples' context.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?
>
>The WebAppDeploy bit must be inside a <VirtualHost> tag. Can't remember
>where I read this.. anyway, this is what I appended to my httpd.conf:
>
>LoadModule webapp_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_webapp.so
>WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
><VirtualHost localhost>
>  DocumentRoot /home/jeff/public_html
>  ServerName localhost
>  WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/
></VirtualHost>
>

>That fixed the "Invalid virtual host name" error. I then restarted
>everything, and found I was getting these errors on catalina.out:

Yes, thanks, that helped me fix that problem, but now Apache cannot trigger
TomCat ..... <?>

>At this point I gave up ;P It's beta code, after all..

Well, I am running the release version of TomCat 4.0.
Do you refer to the quality of the "WarpConnector"?

>Good luck

Still trying to get it going if anyone has a working sample, please forward it.

Thanks

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 04:42:10PM +0100, Jeremy Quinn wrote:
> Hi
>

> I am trying to get TomCat 4.0 and Cocoon 2.1b to run behind Apache 1.3.
[..]

> I get an 'Invalid virtual host name' error on line 4, ie. the line trying
> to set up the 'examples' context.
>
> Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

The WebAppDeploy bit must be inside a <VirtualHost> tag. Can't remember
where I read this.. anyway, this is what I appended to my httpd.conf:

LoadModule webapp_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_webapp.so
WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
<VirtualHost localhost>
  DocumentRoot /home/jeff/public_html
  ServerName localhost
  WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/
</VirtualHost>

That fixed the "Invalid virtual host name" error. I then restarted
everything, and found I was getting these errors on catalina.out:

java.io.IOException: Premature packet header end

At this point I gave up ;P It's beta code, after all..

Good luck

--Jeff