Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by "Patil, Aniruddha Vivek" <an...@iu.edu> on 2020/04/23 01:37:02 UTC

Apache Airavata MFT : File Autotransfer

Hello,
As per discussions with Prof. Suresh, we are planning on contributing the feature of scheduling file transfers to Airavata's MFT (https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@airavata.apache.org/msg12564.html).
We were considering delivering certain API endpoints that could easily be integrated into the dashboard in the future.

Are there any pointers we could follow that would help us with this?

Regards,
Aniruddha Patil

Re: [External] Re: Apache Airavata MFT : File Autotransfer

Posted by DImuthu Upeksha <di...@gmail.com>.
Only prerequisite is understanding message paths between API, Controller
and Agents. For technology pieces like consul and grpc messaging, you can
easily figure out as there are enough code examples in the code itself.
Once you grab the architecture properly, implementation might be easy or
rather straightforward. I account most of the estimated time for
understanding the core of MFT rather than the implementation part. For
implementation I expect following top level milestones

1. Defining a new transfer type for API [2]
2. Parsing the new transfer type in controller [3]
3. Implementing data structures and timers to handle scheduled transfers in
the controller. This includes handling fault tolerance in case of
controller crashes. This is the place I need a proper design form you on
how you are going to do it

[2]
https://github.com/apache/airavata-mft/blob/master/api/stub/src/main/proto/MFTApi.proto#L9
[3]