Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/06/05 02:33:36 UTC

[DISCUSS] Migration of Podling Maintenance Tooling to Whimsy

All,

I want to bring up this discussion to see others opinions.  I would like to
move forward on migrating podling status maintenance into Whimsy.  Some of
the key things I want to improve upon is the overall experience around
managing the podling.  Sam's done a great job with rosters, but we can
start to track other things in whimsy, which mirrors what's in the status
file.  This can include IP Clearance/SGAs, Podling Name Searches, the
various dates we track.

Ultimately, I want to simplify how podlings are managed and make it a bit
easier on an end user.  Rather than needing to svn checkout to get files,
they simply go to a webpage, and assuming they're on that podling's roster
they would have access to update the status.  We could even automate
certain events so that when the board passes a resolution to graduate the
podling, the status file is updated along side any other record the podling
may have.

This does mean that the status file format is likely to change.  It also
means we're likely to move away from the java based build tool that has to
parse the XML templates into web pages and instead rely on a more
structured format for the status.

It doesn't mean you have to change.  If you like using SVN to edit this
stuff that's fine, you would still be able to.  Just what you're editing is
likely to be different.

Thoughts? Opinions?

John

Re: [DISCUSS] Migration of Podling Maintenance Tooling to Whimsy

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Migration of Podling Maintenance Tooling to Whimsy

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me. Self-service is always a good solution. But then... It already
was like that regarding various aspects of managing an incubating project.
Just more cumbersome. And more out of sync with the processes and
procedures for graduated projects.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>