Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com> on 2004/02/25 03:12:43 UTC

attributes of the element web-app?

I downloaded Sun's DTD from here:

http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd

After cleaning it up (just making it readable linebreaks) I was scanning through it to see what some of the attrributes are for the element web-app.  According to this:

<!ELEMENT web-app (icon?, display-name?, description?, distributable?,
context-param*, filter*, filter-mapping*, listener*, servlet*,
servlet-mapping*, session-config?, mime-mapping*, welcome-file-list?,
error-page*, taglib*, resource-env-ref*, resource-ref*, security-constraint*,
login-config?, security-role*, env-entry*, ejb-ref*,  ejb-local-ref*)>

one of the attrributes of this element is icon which can be 0 or 1 instance.  So I put this in like so:

<web-app>
  <display-name>Welcome to My JSP-Files</display-name>
  <description>
     Welcome to My JSPs
  </description>
  <icon>cl6D11.ico</icon>
</web-app>

and put the icon c16D11.ico in the same folder as web.xml namely WEB-INF. (I don't think the order matters???)

Assuming the dtd is well formed (the icon element is set up correctly in the dtd) I expected to see the icon in the Manager for my Tomcat 4.1.29.  But I didn't for the Webapp that corresponds to Welcome to My JSPs.  What did I do wrong?  I restarted Tomcat but nothing no icon.

--
George Hester

Re: attributes of the element web-app?

Posted by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com>.
Yeah man I don't keep my "direction" intact often.  Yes it is not in the XML I want to show the icon but in the manager.  Silly me.  And by golly I still had the order incorrect.  OK I changed the order correct this time:

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>
  <icon>cl6D11.gif</icon>
  <display-name>Welcome to My JSP-Files</display-name>
  <description>
     Welcome to My JSPs
  </description>
</web-app>

jeeze!!!

OK let's see if it works now...

--
George Hester
__________________________________

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
At 07:15 PM 2/25/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Yeah I kind of think so too.  I believe for this to work a XSL stylesheet
>is necessary for the generated Manager html.  You know:
>
><!ELEMENT web-app (icon?, display-name?, description?, distributable?,
>context-param*, filter*, filter-mapping*, listener*, servlet*,
>servlet-mapping*, session-config?, mime-mapping*, welcome-file-list?,
>error-page*, taglib*, resource-env-ref*, resource-ref*, security-constraint*,
>login-config?, security-role*, env-entry*, ejb-ref*,  ejb-local-ref*)>
>
>everything here is "optional."
>
>Moving off this dtd issue.  Do you know if Tomacat ever intends going the
>schema route away from the dtd route?  Thanks.  Any links you could
>suggest on Tomcat's use of the dtd in its XML usage?

Huh?  This isn't up to Tomcat.  Tomcat follows the spec for web.xml.  Other
configuration files are proprietary.  Each spec up to and including the 2.3
spec used a dtd.  2.4 uses XML Schema.

Jake

Posted by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Curwen <gb...@gb-im.com>.