Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/07 12:59:36 UTC

Problem on setting up hbase cluster in a special environment

Dear all,

We have met with some problem setting up hbase cluster in one special
environment, as described below:

1) The output of "hostname -i" on hbase master node is 127.0.0.1, and we
don't have sudo rights to change hostname of the machine
2) The network interface we want hbase to use is virtual, with name like
"eth1:0", which cannot be recognized by the NetworkInterface#getByName
method, thus setting the "hbase.regionserver.dns.interface" to "eth1:0"
doesn't work
3) There's no reverse DNS setup in the environment

I noticed on the Reference Guide that "Both forward and reverse DNS
resolving must work in versions of HBase previous to 0.92.0", so I guess
there must have been some work-around in the env w/o reverse DNS, correct?
Are there any suggestions on how to setup the hbase cluster in this
environment? Thanks in advance, and look forward to your reply.

--
Best Regards,
Li Yu

Re: Problem on setting up hbase cluster in a special environment

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi Harsh,

Thanks a lot for your reply, it's  . For #2, I double checked and found the
patches(HADOOP-8154 and HADOOP-7806) are also in branch-1, only that it
exists in hadoop release later than(including) 1.1.0, we're using
hadoop-1.0.4 here, so it's not included.

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi Harsh,

Thanks a lot for your reply, it's enlightening.

For #2, I double checked and found the patches(HADOOP-8154 and HADOOP-7806)
are also in branch-1, only that it exists in hadoop release later
than(including) 1.1.0, but we're using hadoop-1.0.4 here.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

--
Harsh J

Re: Problem on setting up hbase cluster in a special environment

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
Sorry but one supplement here, the hbase version we're using is 0.94.2

--
Best Regards,
Li Yu