Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/11/01 11:46:09 UTC

Re: Github integration for Hadoop

> On 31 Oct 2015, at 17:58, Colin P. McCabe <cm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your responses here.  It sounds like the proposal here is
> for doing code reviews on GH, but still doing commits in our existing
> way.  Since it wasn't spelled out in the initial proposal, I
> interpreted it as doing both reviews and commits on GH, like Spark
> does-- which I think is problematic for all the reasons we've
> discussed here (the fact that GH introduces merge commits, the
> possibility of bypassing jira, duplicate pull requests with no search
> features to dedup them, etc. etc.)  Nobody has really come up with a
> solution for the problems caused by __committing__ through GH that
> scales to our size of community.
>
> If there is a general consensus that __code reviews__ through GH would
> be helpful, I will change my -1 to a +0 for that.  But let's make sure
> that we are not __commiting__ through GH.  I view this as kind of an
> experiment to see how much easier things are this way, so I will try
> to keep an open mind.

+1 for that.

in fact, we may want to start a wiki page on reviewing through github, to get these policies written down

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com> wrote:

>> On Nov 1, 2015, at 6:05 AM, Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for starting this discussion. It's good for us to rethink
>> our workflow to grow community.
>> However, at the moment, my concern is that we can put more pressure on
>> Yetus community if we move the main workflows into github.
>>
>> Allen and Sean, what do you think? Is it good timing for Yetus community?
>

>         There’s nothing for Yetus to do here; support for github PRs has been there since August. I regularly use it to pull down my own PRs against my own hadoop branch to test with.
>
>         The only work is for someone to modify the Jenkins job that runs test-patch to either support both JIRA and GH or to create another job.  That’s on the Hadoop community to do.

Just one additional Yetus point here: no new jenkins job is needed if
folks leave a comment with a link to their PR and set the jira status
to "patch available".

--
Sean

Re: Github integration for Hadoop