Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Daniel Barclay <Da...@digitalfocus.com> on 2000/06/08 19:05:17 UTC

~bug(req.): documentation: validation instructions reminder

It would be helpful if the instructions regarding turning on validation
mentioned (to remind the reader) what it takes to actually get error
reports (besides just turning on the validation feature).

This is especially important for DOMParser, whose public documentation
says nothing about DOMParser's SAX-like methods for parser control and
error reporting.

(I just spent hours trying to figure out how to get validation working
with DOMParser, including rebuilding all the documentation to check
internal class org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser for any special
instructions.)

Suggested fixes:

- In the validation FAQ (.../docs/html/faq-general.html#faq-2),
  mention calling method setErrorHandler to actual get reports from
  the just-enabled validation.

- On the Features page (.../docs/html/features.html), in the example to
  turn on validation, also mention setErrorHandler (or parenthetically
  refer the reader to the validation question in the FAQ list).

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay
Digital Focus

Re: ~bug(req.): documentation: validation instructions reminder

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Daniel Barclay wrote:
> It would be helpful if the instructions regarding turning on validation
> mentioned (to remind the reader) what it takes to actually get error
> reports (besides just turning on the validation feature).

Please post your documentation patches to this list and I'll
apply them for you.

--
Andy Clark * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * andyc@apache.org