Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org> on 2002/06/03 20:41:24 UTC

[doc] how to use fixme?

I'm trying to understand how best to use the fixme element for adding
comments to docs, either for authors who are willing to update their own
work or for problems I cannot solve, at least on the first pass.

I notice fixme has a required author attribute. In document-v10.dtd, it
states:
    the "author" attribute should match the "key" attribute of the
<author> element

I assume this means the attribute id of a person element listed under
document/header/authors/person. Still, I don't want to add my name as an
author to each and every document which simply needs my fixme comments.

Should I simply use the id of the existing person listed under authors?

Thanks.

Diana

Re: [doc] how to use fixme?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Diana Shannon wrote:
> I'm trying to understand how best to use the fixme element for adding
> comments to docs, either for authors who are willing to update their own
> work or for problems I cannot solve, at least on the first pass.
>
> I notice fixme has a required author attribute. In document-v10.dtd, it
> states:
>     the "author" attribute should match the "key" attribute of the
> <author> element
>
> I assume this means the attribute id of a person element listed under
> document/header/authors/person. Still, I don't want to add my name as an
> author to each and every document which simply needs my fixme comments.
>
> Should I simply use the id of the existing person listed under authors?

For now i would just use the actual name (or just initials)
of the person who thinks that a <fixme> note is necessary.
I would not worry about trying to match the value up with
other things. There is no content validation happening for
these attributes anyway. So i say do not worry, we can tidy
it up later if we want to rely on it.
--David

Re: [doc] how to use fixme?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Diana Shannon wrote:

> I'm trying to understand how best to use the fixme element for adding
> comments to docs, either for authors who are willing to update their own
> work or for problems I cannot solve, at least on the first pass.
>
> I notice fixme has a required author attribute. In document-v10.dtd, it
> states:
>     the "author" attribute should match the "key" attribute of the
> <author> element
>
> I assume this means the attribute id of a person element listed under
> document/header/authors/person. Still, I don't want to add my name as an
> author to each and every document which simply needs my fixme comments.

Hmmmm, good point.

> Should I simply use the id of the existing person listed under authors?

No, that's against the idea of fixme.

Yes, we should use something like a map (doesn't need to be a 'topic
map' to be honest)... the best thing would be to have the DTD aggregate
the committers list... but I'm not sure how to do it (and I'm not a DTD
guru, to be honest).

Suggestions anyone?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [doc] how to use fixme?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Diana Shannon wrote:
> I notice fixme has a required author attribute. In document-v10.dtd, it
> states:
>    the "author" attribute should match the "key" attribute of the
> <author> element
>
> I assume this means the attribute id of a person element listed under
> document/header/authors/person. Still, I don't want to add my name as an
> author to each and every document which simply needs my fixme comments.
>
> Should I simply use the id of the existing person listed under authors?

An id pointing into a topic map...sorry, couldn't resist, don't take
this too serious.

J.Pietschmann