Posted to user@struts.apache.org by walidito <wa...@sgcib.com> on 2007/02/13 16:00:40 UTC

Migrate from Struts 2.0.1 to 2.0.5

Hi,
I'm very sorry if this question has already been asked, but I would like to
know how to migrate from 2.0.1 to 2.0.5 and if it is not risky.
I have already started my project in 2.0.1 and it works well (it took time
to make it work well)... I have few concerns about staying at 2.0.1 or
migrating :
1 - is it easy enough to migrate ?
2 - Will I need to change my code ?
3 - In the near future, I will definitely need to call Struts 1.x actions. I
know there's a plugin system in the 2.0.5. But can I do it easily with 2.0.1
or should I better migrate to do so ?

Your answers are welcome !

thanks a lot.

Re: Migrate from Struts 2.0.1 to 2.0.5

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 2/14/07, Shuai Zheng <zh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am sad to hear that it will not be fixed in 2.0.6 and there is not this
> issue in previous release. In my experience, a new bug comes with a new
> release should be easy to solve, but maybe I am not correct.

It's still possible that it might be fixed for 2.0.6. We already have
a near fix, we just need to figure out what's happening with the
tests.

> May I know when the GA release will come out? It looks like we need to wait
> another 2 weeks.

That depends on the feedback that the development group get back from
other users. If a beta is well received, then we reclassify it as a
GA. There are only a handful of active S2 committers, and we need
feedback from a wider set of users to determine a build's quality. We
might have marked 2.0.1 GA if not for the dependency on an XWork 2
beta. The current releases do not have any beta dependencies, and so
each new beta is a now GA candidate.

> When everytime a new release comes out(even still a beta), a new
> *-all.zipshould be released for downloading.

We do.

* http://struts.apache.org/download.cgi#struts205

As mentioned, there is no difference in release formats, because
almost every release is a GA candidate. Some of the recent builds were
not announced to the user list, but each has been a complete
distribution.

-Ted.

Re: [S2] Migrate from Struts 2.0.1 to 2.0.5

Posted by Shuai Zheng <zh...@gmail.com>.
You are welcome.
I want to say some more here:
1, if your project does not experience any bugs that has been reported for
2.0.1, it is not urgent to upgrade to another beta release.
2, if you need a demo to show to customer, I will suggest you to upgrade
because the 2.0.5 use new dojo version and it has some cool features. For
example, even there are some bugs reported for new datetimepicker tag, I
will still want to it.
3, Anyway, you should try the new version personally because it is the
direction but maybe not in the project. Our testing can help to let the GA
release comes earlier:)

Regards,

Zheng Shuai

Posted by walidito <wa...@sgcib.com>.

Posted by Shuai Zheng <zh...@gmail.com>.
Based on my own experience, WW-1711 is a big issue.
I know there is a way to walk around it, but I feel it makes the code ugly
and it is strange to put extra code there (select tag is popular and shown
all pages. Also it is strange that a string will be used as the value of
select, in most of cases, a value of select will be integer, isn't it?).

I am sad to hear that it will not be fixed in 2.0.6 and there is not this
issue in previous release. In my experience, a new bug comes with a new
release should be easy to solve, but maybe I am not correct.

Anyway, 2.0.5 is a good job. Based on my own experience, it is more stable
and faster than 2.0.1. For myself, the only reason I don't upgrade because I

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shuai Zheng <zh...@gmail.com>.
I just try it last weekend.
The new feature in 2.0.5 is nice (mostly because now it is using new Dojo).

There are tips I have faced:
1, the datepicker has been replaced by datetimepicker
2, panel has been removed and replaced by div. And the refreshOnShow
attribute is ignored now.
3, a bug in select tag but there are some ways to walk round it.
Here issue 2 and 3 make me very uncomfortable, although I can change code to
walk around it, but it is unreasonable to be a solution for a project. So I
rollback to 2.0.1

You also need to change the struts.properties. You can refer to the new
showcase.

Please refer to the issues in JIRA which are posted for 2.0.5.

I will suggest you to wait for the next release, because there are really
some critical bugs in the 2.0.5(especially the bug on select tag).

For myself, I am waiting for the 2.0.6 and will try to upgrade the project
again.

Regards,

Zheng Shuai