Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Brian Lee <br...@hotmail.com> on 2004/04/15 16:35:21 UTC

I18N problems

I've got a site that we're trying to deploy in Japanese. We're using struts
message tags everywhere with property resource bundles for all the labels
and text. The only text that doesn't come from the resource bundles comes
from the database.

The problem is that IE doesn't display the text properly.

When we don't set the content-type to UTF-8, the text from the database
shows up properly but all of the text from the message tags shows up
garbled. Also, if we put japanese characters directly in the JSP outside of
scriplet tags, it is displayed as garbled in both the browser and view
source.

When we do set the content-type to UTF-8, all of the text from the message
tags shows up properly but all of the text from the database shows us
garbled (html tags are also screwed up because the browser thinks part of
the Japanese is a "<" so instead of "</a>" view source only shows "/a>").

We tried running the properties files through the native2ascii utility from
the jdk to convert all the japanese characters to \uxxxx but IE treats that
as the literal text and tries to display "\uxxxx".

We need to get both the message tag text and other text to show up properly
as japanese.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so how did you solve it?

Thanks,
BAL