Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Kornelis Sietsma <ko...@sietsma.com> on 2006/05/01 05:56:48 UTC

looking for a degrading tcp proxy like tcpmon

Greetings,

Someone on this list might be able to help me.  I'm load testing a
system that uses a module that makes Soap calls to an external system.
(I don't have access to the source code for the external system, nor the
internal module that makes the call)

I'd like to insert a proxy between the system under test, and the
external system, to artificially slow down responses, to simulate a
system under load.  (I don't have a better way to do this, unfortunately
- I don't have access to a test version of the external system, and I'm
not trying to test *that* system, rather how *my* system copes with slow
SOAP responses)

Currently I'm using the Apache Axis toolkit's "tcpmon" tool, which does
pretty well exactly what I want - except that it's a Swing-based tool,
and from briefly looking at the source it's pretty tightly coupled to
the Swing gui.  This makes it hard to do automated testing, and I'm
concerned about scalability - I don't know how well the swing-based code
will cope with heavy loads.

So, does anyone know of a good open-source scalable tcp/ip proxy?
Ideally something that lets you slow down connections, though this
should be fairly easy to add to an existing tool.  Oh, and it needs to
work on Solaris ... Java, Python, or Perl code would be ideal.

Note I don't want a http proxy - I'm not sure that I can convince the
SOAP code to use a http proxy.  And this is hampering my efforts
somewhat, if you google "java proxy" you get a million hits for http
proxies, most of them simplistic test code that doesn't scale at all... :-}

- Korny
--
Kornelis Sietsma e-mail: korny at my surname dot com