Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by "Johnson, Michael L." <mi...@ngc.com> on 2008/06/10 20:07:29 UTC

Circular dependencies

Hello all!

We are using Ivy 2.0 beta 2.  We recently got into a situation where one
of our devs accidentally introduced a circular dependency into two
modules we are building (A depends on B, and B depends on A).  I would
have expected something like a big error box shouting to the world
"Hey!! Big problem here!!!" (kind of like when a dependency can't get
resolved).

However, what ended up happening was that there was a line in the output
that did say something about a circular dependency, but it was easily
"missable".  And the resolve actually did not fail; it succeeded, and
the compile continued, which then of course failed since "B" hadn't been
built/published yet.

So my questions are:

1. Is there a way to make the error more noticeable?

2. Is there a flag to set in the "resolve" task to make it fail a
resolve where there's a circular dependency?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Johnson

P.S. Ivy is a GREAT tool!!! We are having all kinds of success with it!
Cheers!!

Re: Circular dependencies

Posted by Colin Fleming <co...@gmail.com>.
Hey Mike,