Posted to general@xml.apache.org by "Dirk-Willem van Gulik (vaio)" <di...@webweaving.org> on 2001/02/26 09:55:44 UTC

Volunteers needed: Reboot of the XML 'PMC'.

Folks,

As most of you know, the XML project is part of the Apache Software
Foundation (ASF) which has a Board of Director's. Guiding the XML projects
is delegated to a 'PMC/XML' - a project management committee specific to
the XML projects. Which guides and helps (new and current) XML projects
with things like the initial bootstrapping, licenses and so on - as well
as trying to coordinate between projects. All groups are volunteers - just
like all of us here on the mailing lists.

The task of the PMC is primarily oversight on behalf of the board from a
more legal and organizational perspective. It deals primarily with fairly
dry things things such as questions about licenses, new projects and so on.

During the last 6 months or so; the current PMC (which largely was
responsible for creating the XML project originally) has not been as
active as it should have been. And this is a problem -as small though the
role of a PMC is; it is essential for the foundation and essential if we
want to make sure there is synergy.

Both the PMC as well as the Board now consider it essential to get a new
PMC on the road again - and I am left with the task to do this.

Now this official talk might sound grave and worrysome; but in all
honestly, such things are a common reality in any volunteer organization
and are possible to fix. I'd like to stress that since there is a lot of
good coding being done; we do see the XML projects as a healthy bunch.

So during the next weeks I am asking your help -as you folks are
essentially the 'core' of what the apache XML project is- to define the
future of the XML projects.

The discussion will take place on the

		general@xml.apache.org

mailing list. Subscribe, if you have not already done so, by sending
mail to:

		general-subscribe@xml.apache.org

Plan of action:

What the ASF board wants us to do in the next few weeks is the following:

1.	Propose a new PMC to the board which has a good
	overview of all active XML projects and wants to work
	on the bigger picture.

	In other words - we need volunteers.

We need to have 3 to 9 people. The exact number and composure can be done
by consensus - or we can have a vote using the usual committer vote. This
new PMC can either be an interim PMC or one for a longer period. Whichever
is felt as most appropriate. We intentionally break here with the system
where the old PMC nominates the new. We want the broadest committer driven
representation possible.

The first task for the PMC will be:

2.	Work with the ASF board to re-define it's current charter.
	Right now it is too narrow and only covers XML parsers!

And following this we need to work on where the XML project should
go; what good metric's are to measure and accept new projects; how and
when to phase out inactive projects and how we might want to work with the
Jakarta folks. As right now one of our bigger puzzles is version-ing and
release management; we have a lot of dependencies.

Please be so kind to follow up on

	general@xml.apache.org

In order to keep things moving forward; these are the questions we
need to discuss at a minimum:

1.	Who wants to volunteer for the next PMC - and how
	do we make sure there is a good cross representation
	of all projects within the XML project.

2.	Where do we want the XML projects to go; what is our
	scope ? Right now we say:

	o to provide commercial-quality standards-based XML
	solutions that are developed in an open and cooperative
	fashion,

	o to provide feedback to standards bodies (such as
	IETF and W3C) from an implementation perspective, and

	o to be a focus for XML-related activities within
	Apache projects

	Is this still appropriate ? Can we narrow it down, is
	this enough guidance ? Are all projects positioned
	right ? How do we deal with new projects ?

3.	Think of synergy; how can we make all this work better
	when used together. How could we improve version-ing,
	should we work with the Jakarta folks more closely ?

So again; follow up on general@xml.apache.org - and come with an open mind
- - focused on the future;

	Thanks everyone !

Dw
- --
Dirk-Willem van Gulik, ASF board member and PMC/XML.

Re: Volunteers needed: Reboot of the XML 'PMC'.

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
I've been pretty vocal elsewhere about XML PMC problems...I was waiting,
like Ted, to see who stepped up. I'd very definitely want to see
representation from FOP, for a number of reasons. One, we are not well
understood but I think we are working in an area of XML that will only
increase in importance. Two, we _are_ different from being a parser. Three,
FOP developers and committers are 100% own-time volunteers with no
affiliation to any big names (relatively speaking), so we have a different
perspective.

Having said that, I'll tentatively volunteer. If somebody else weighs in
either from FOP or with interests that encompass XML-based print publishing,
I'll withdraw my intention to volunteer so as to keep the numbers down, if
necessary. I don't want to give the impression that I wouldn't be keen to do
it, but I wouldn't be averse to seeing other viewpoints getting a chance
either.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Posted by Rajesh Thiharie <ra...@ggn.aithent.com>.
1. Rajesh Thiharie
2. - Working on a proof of concept project that uses EJB - XML - Cocoon
- Servlets/JSP
3. Professional affiliation: Work for Aithent - a software development
company based otu of New Delhi, India
4. What I bring to the table:
	I have been using Xerces - Xalan for over six months now and Cocoon for
four months
	Am very interested in XML overall.

--
Si minor plus est ergo nihil sunt omnia

Re: Volunteers: First - cut - Deadline 2nd of March

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

> 1. name

Ted Leung

> 2. Apache affiliations/projects you are working on

Committer for Xerces-J, Member of current XML PMC.

> 3. Professional affiliations if you consider it
> relevant or if you feel you need to disclose them.

None - I work for myself.

> 4. Short summary of what you would bring to the
> table in term's of experience, idea's. How
> you see your role in creating synergy between
> all XML projects.

I've spent some time recently trying to help the Xerces-J project
get a little more organized.  I'm willing to do "scut work"
like editing the website, maintaining bugzilla, etc.   I am
concerned about version lock problems, and API consistency
across the projects.  I'd also like to see the "infrastructure"
projects (Xerces, Xalan, FOP, Batik, SOAP) move in the
direction of an application server stack.  I think that having a
small set of design points that the various projects are striving
for will bring more unity in design and community.  As an example
Xerces-J is consistently torn by people who want to turn it into
an engine for writing incremental XML editors and people who
want to turn it into a component suitable for production level
messaging.  Often the goals of these two camps are opposed.

One last thing.  Jim Allchin's recent comment about Open Source
stifling innovation seemed particularly relevant to me.  In the past
the part of the charter that referenced XML standards has been
used as a way to keep features out of projects and projects out
of xml.apache.org.  I think it is very important that the XML project
be a place where innovation is both allowed and encouraged.  Our
best example of this is Cocoon.  Jakarta has a few examples:  Ant
and Struts.  I want to see our projects continue to innovate in similar
fashion, so I want to be sure that whatever we do to the charter still
allows for that.

Ted

volunteer info

Posted by Matthew Brandabur <Ma...@oracle.com>.
1. Matthew B Brandabur
2. - My team's product, the Oracle Internet File System (ships with
Apache)
  - I am working on a proof of concept project to integrate IFS with
Cocoon/Batik
3. Professional affiliation: staff member of Oracle
4. What I bring to the table:  I have been following the progress of the
cocoon project for several months, and I would like to be involved. I am
not primarily a coder, however. I am in charge of documenting Oracle's
Internet File System for
developers, so I have lots of experience writing for developer audiences.
I get lots of hands-on experience with our API, including writing sample
code and testing our example projects, so I am comfortable with enterprise
Java and constantly practicing on my own.

--

=================
Matthew B Brandabur

650-506-9766

Matthew.Brandabur@oracle.com

=================

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Hi all,

1. Davanum Srinivas (nickname: dims)

2. Working on Cocoon2 (C2) Apache project since last Oct/Nov

3.1 Employee of Computer Associates (working on Jasmineii - http://www.ca.com/jasmine)
3.2 FAQ Manager of JNI-FAQ at jGuru.com (http://www.jguru.com/faq/JNI)

4.1 Integrated Xalan2's TRaX into Cocoon2(Now C2 can use SAXON too)
4.2 Integrated Batik into Cocoon2.
4.3 Looking into Turbine integration with C2 right now.
4.4 Occasionally submitted patches to Xalan2 and a couple to Xerces.

Thanks,
dims

--- Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net> wrote:

> For the first cut of a group of volunteers managing the PMC; could
> all of you make sure you have send to the mailing list a short message
> (some of you have already done it) with;
>
> 1.	name
>
> 2.	Apache affiliations/projects you are working on
>
> 3.	Professional affiliations if you consider it
> 	relevant or if you feel you need to disclose them.
>
> 4.	Short summary of what you would bring to the
> 	table in term's of experience, idea's. How
> 	you see your role in creating synergy between
> 	all XML projects.
>
> Next steps; lets agree on sime time line and take it from
> there. Meanwhile is this 'speed' about right; do I need
> to push harder and faster ?
>
> Thanks for all activity sofar !
>
> Dw

=====
Davanum Srinivas, JNI-FAQ Manager
http://www.jGuru.com/faq/JNI

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Volunteers: First - cut - Deadline 2nd of March

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
Hello,

This is something that I would be interested in. I'm not someone who has
been particularly active with Apache XML projects but that is mainly
because I am active with the development of dbXML which is an Open
Source native XML database. The dbXML project makes extensive use of ASF
developed technologies including Xalan J, Xerces J, SOAP and Cocoon
among others. Because of this and the significant boost that these
technologies have given to the dbXML project it is my desire to find a
way that I can help with the efforts of the Apache XML projects.
Assisting on the PMC may be a good way for this to occur.

For a little about me since I'm probably unknown to most, I am currently
employed as Chief Technology Officer for The dbXML Group which is the
company funding the dbXML project. I am also one of the founders of and
sit on the PMC for the XML:DB initiative. http://www.xmldb.org XML:DB is
working on XML database interoperability specifications and reference
implementations using a model heavily inspired by that of the ASF.
Overall I consider myself an XML technologist and am very interested in
open source development and improving the process associated with it.

Hopefully my participation is welcome and I can profitably contribute.

Thanks

--
Kimbro Staken
Chief Technology Officer

Posted by James Scott <js...@hnt.com>.
You can add me to the volunteer list, too. A little bit about myself: I'm a
software engineer and consumer of various Apache XML projects (Cocoon and Xalan
most notably) but not directly involved with their development. I'm very
interested to see the various XML projects evolve and (most importantly)
cooperate with each other.

I have some software project management experience, but that may not be relevant
here.

Regards,

James Scott

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
* Davanum Srinivas (dims@yahoo.com) wrote :
> Am willing to pitch in. FYI, Am a semi-active comitter in C2 project.

You call that semi-active? I'd hate to see you _really_ going some :)

For anyone who doesn't follow cocoon directly, Dims is a very active
semi-active comitter to cocoon who seems to understand XML imtimately
and somehow manages to find inordinate amounts of time to help people
with problems and further cocoon development.

Paul.

Re: Volunteers needed: Reboot of the XML 'PMC'.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Am willing to pitch in. FYI, Am a semi-active comitter in C2 project.

Thanks,
Davanum Srinivas (dims)

=====

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.