Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Peter Howe <Pe...@uk.linedata.com> on 2005/03/03 14:13:06 UTC

Server-side file ignores

Hi All

I know that there is the client-side "global-ignores" option which can be put into /etc/subversion/config in order to have SVN ignore certain files in users' working directories.  However, I'd like to control this from the server (i.e. for all users, ensure that certain files are ignored - regardless of which client machine they are working on.)

Is there a facility for this that I'm unaware of - and if so, is it possible to restrict it by directory?  (e.g. under myrepos/src ignore .o but under myrepos/objs don't ignore .o).  That's a contrived example by the way.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

-----------------
Peter Howe
Icon Operations Manager, Asset Management

Linedata Services (UK) Ltd.  Bishopsgate Court  4-12 Norton Folgate  London  E1 6DB
T +44 (0)20 7360 1901  F +44 (0)20 7360 1974  M +44 (0)7771 992 331
E peter.howe@ldsam.com  W www.ldsam.com
MSN Messenger peter.howe@xenzero.com

Re: Server-side file ignores

Posted by Simon Kennedy <si...@looksoftware.com>.
Peter Howe wrote:
Hi Peter,

I found that the 'svn:ignore' of limited use so I added our own property called 'look:accept'
(I work for a company called looksoftware) and then wrote a python script to reject any commits
that did not match the 'look:accept' property or one of the common predefined file extentions (*.c, *.cpp, etc).

I've attached a copy of the script to this email. I convert it to an exe with py2exe as I find deployment simpler.

Simon. K

Re: Server-side file ignores

Posted by Eric Wilhelm <ew...@sbcglobal.net>.
# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Johan Appelgren
# on Thursday 03 March 2005 08:31 am:

>> Is there a facility for this that I'm unaware of - and if so, is it
>> possible to restrict it by directory?  (e.g. under myrepos/src
>> ignore .o but under myrepos/objs don't ignore .o).  That's a
>> contrived example by the way.
>
>You could write a pre-commit hook that rejects any commits that
>contain files you do not want to be added.

Seems like it would work better if your hooks just did something like
set the svn:ignore property for each new directory.  Then the clients
don't get unexpected behavior when trying to commit.  However, this
means that imports and commits of new directories will still contain
the unwanted files, so some workarounds would be needed.

Is there a way to set svn:ignore to apply to any newly created
directories in a repository?  (analogous to "chmod g+s dir") If I have
a directory that currently has an ignore pattern set, adding a
directory under it doesn't inherit that property, so any files in it
matching the ignore pattern get added.

It looks like the auto-props config item might do the trick, but that is
still a client configuration.  Any way to have repository-specific
values for client configurations stored in the repository?

--Eric
--
"You can't win. You can't break even. You can't quit."
  -- Ginsberg's Restatement of the Three Laws of Thermodynamics

Re: Server-side file ignores

Posted by Johan Appelgren <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:13:06 -0000, Peter Howe
<Pe...@uk.linedata.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I know that there is the client-side "global-ignores" option which can be put >
> into /etc/subversion/config in order to have SVN ignore certain files in users'
> working directories.  However, I'd like to control this from the server (i.e. for all
> users, ensure that certain files are ignored - regardless of which client machine
> they are working on.)
>
> Is there a facility for this that I'm unaware of - and if so, is it possible to restrict it
> by directory?  (e.g. under myrepos/src ignore .o but under myrepos/objs don't
> ignore .o).  That's a contrived example by the way.

You could write a pre-commit hook that rejects any commits that
contain files you do not want to be added.

/Johan

Re: Server-side file ignores

Posted by Daniel Patterson <da...@danpat.net>.
Peter Howe wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I know that there is the client-side "global-ignores" option which
 > can be put into /etc/subversion/config in order to have SVN ignore
 > certain files in users' working directories.  However, I'd like to
 > control this from the server (i.e. for all users, ensure that
 > certain files are ignored - regardless of which client machine they
 > are working on.)
>
> Is there a facility for this that I'm unaware of - and if so, is it
 > possible to restrict it by directory?  (e.g. under myrepos/src
 > ignore .o but under myrepos/objs don't ignore .o).  That's a
 > contrived example by the way.

   Well, you can't filter items out of a commit, but you could certainly
   write a pre-commit hook to reject a commit that contained an item
   you don't want to see in your repository.  Combine the "optional"
   ignores on the client side with the enforcement at commit time and
   you should get pretty close to what you want.

daniel