Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2003/10/14 20:32:24 UTC

The Avalon Name...

FYI, Microsoft has released a bit info about the upcoming OS, codename
Longhorn. It contains among other things the "Avalon Graphics Engine".

Are they naming after OSS projects to deliberately "water down" these efforts?

Niclas

Re: The Avalon Name...

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> FYI, Microsoft has released a bit info about the upcoming OS, codename
> Longhorn. It contains among other things the "Avalon Graphics Engine".
>
> Are they naming after OSS projects to deliberately "water down" these efforts?

Dunno about that.  Avalon used here is Apache Avalon, so it is sufficiently
different ;P

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: The Avalon Name...

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
hammett wrote:
> There is a C++ framework for persistable objects named Avalon too.

and a car...

Re: The Avalon Name...

Posted by hammett <ha...@uol.com.br>.
There is a C++ framework for persistable objects named Avalon too.

hammett

Re: The Avalon Name...

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Yep. There is also Toyota Avalon :-P
> http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2004/avalon/

I contemplated buying one (almost just for the name).  Of course I also
contemplated buying a Chrysler LeBaron convertable too.  I'm glad I didn't
make that mistake.  :)  Fortunately, the Avalon is much better made than
the LeBaron.  Hmmm.

Re: The Avalon Name...

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi dijo:

> On Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003, at 20:32 Europe/Rome, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>

>> FYI, Microsoft has released a bit info about the upcoming OS, codename
>> Longhorn. It contains among other things the "Avalon Graphics Engine".
>>
>> Are they naming after OSS projects to deliberately "water down" these
>> efforts?
>
> Nah, I think it's just a cool name and since they don't use java, they
> are not aware of it, nor did look around for other things.

Yep. There is also Toyota Avalon :-P
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2004/avalon/

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo