Posted to cvs@incubator.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2018/03/11 20:32:00 UTC

[Incubator Wiki] Update of "March2018" by Justin Mclean

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Incubator Wiki" for change notification.

The "March2018" page has been changed by Justin Mclean:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/March2018?action=diff&rev1=46&rev2=47

Comment:
add and sign off PLC4X

    - Gearpump
    - Milagro
    - OpenWhisk
-   - PLC4X
    - Pony Mail
    - Quickstep
    - SkyWalking
@@ -1122, +1121 @@

  PLC4X has been incubating since 2017-12-18.

-   1.
-   2.
-   3.
+   1. Building the community: The PPMC and committer group has a large
+      percentage of codecentric employees, we have been recruiting people
+      from other companies, but will have to continue these efforts for
+      establishing a healthy Apache community.
+   2. Onboarding of new committers: With PLC4X several people on the team
+      are not very familiar with the Apache Way. We have started and will
+      continue our efforts on this onboarding.
+   3. Make our first release

  aware of?

+ In order to get access to some of the specifications the ASF will eventually
+ have to become Members of some external foundations: OPC, EtherCat, Modbus …
+ these memberships usually have a free level, that allows us to use the
+ specifications but doesn’t result in any regular costs. We will have to discuss
+ these details with the ASF and the other foundations.
+ One of the external foundations (Profinet) doesn’t have a free membership. In
+ general, the CEO of the European branch of the Profinet Foundation has signaled
+ that it should be possible for the ASF to become a member and have an outside
+ company pay the membership fees, but we have to discuss the details (With them
+ as well as the ASF).

-
- How has the community developed since the last report?
-
-
-
- How has the project developed since the last report?
+ How has the community developed since the last report?

+ Christofer has invested most of his time in February spreading the word about
+ PLC4X.
+ A first POC has been created for the company “Kampf Schneid- und Wickeltechnik
+ GmbH & Co. KG”
+ Two articles for IoT Special editions of German tech magazines have been
+ submitted. The “JavaSPEKTURM – IoT Sonderheft” is scheduled for sale end or
+ March, the “iX – IoT Sonderheft” is scheduled later.
+ The university of Stuttgart has shown great interest in joining our effort, as
+ they had just started a project with a similar goal. Chris will continue
+ on-boarding efforts in March.
+ At this year’s AALE Conference in Cologne, Chris has talked to a lot of people
+ from different German universities. We’re hoping to get at least a hand full of
+ them on board too.
+ We have continuing our onboarding of new Apache committers (extended emails
+ with a lot of explanations on why we are doing things the way we are)
+ In the next few months we are expecting to spread the word and hopefully grow
+ the community due to the tech magazine articles as well as several talks on
+ different conferences.

+ How has the project developed since the last report?
- How would you assess the podling's maturity?
- Please feel free to add your own commentary.

+ The work on the RawSocket Netty transport which is a requirement to implement
+ protocols that are IP based, but are not TCP or UDP has continued and we are
+ currently waiting for infra to setup a dedicated Jenkins VM for our project so
+ we can enable the RawSocket releated tests.
+ We have finished a first version of the Beckhoff ADS driver, and are looking
+ forward to first tests with this.
+ The functionality of the S7 driver has improved due to experience collected
+ with the Kampf POC.
+ Next we are aiming to implement Modbus and OPC-UA protocols.
+
+ How would you assess the podling's maturity?
+ Please feel free to add your own commentary.
+
+ We have a mix of new participants and experienced Apache people involved.
+ So far, the new participants have shown great willingness and success in
+ adopting the Apache Way.
+ However, we still need to continue:
+ the on-boarding
+ increasing the diversity of the team
+ Also, will we need to decide and establish all the processes involved in
+ releasing software at Apache
+
-   [ ] Initial setup
+   [X] Initial setup