Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by maillist <ma...@emailacs.com> on 2007/04/05 00:50:13 UTC

spam graphs

I have seen a few people present, on this mail list, nicely detailed
graphs, that obviously were the result of some server output, but they
focused on email, mainly spam.  I am interested in having the same.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good package that can do this?

All I currently use is logwatch.  It's nice for my needs to administer,
but the boss would like to see something that he can understand without
having to do so much thinking.  Maybe he wants to replace me with a
bar-graph.

As always, any help is appreciated.

-=Aubrey=-

Re: spam graphs

Posted by Luis Hernán Otegui <lu...@gmail.com>.
Chris, would you, by chance, share your modified scripts? I've been looking
for a tool to test the effectiveness of rules since a long time ago, and
your comment on the ability to test the effectiveness of RBLs has just
stunned me... BTW, I'm no Perl guru, or anything close to that...

Thanks,

Luix

2007/4/4, Chris St. Pierre <st...@nebrwesleyan.edu>:

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, maillist wrote:
>
> > I have seen a few people present, on this mail list, nicely detailed
> graphs,
> > that obviously were the result of some server output, but they focused
> on
> > email, mainly spam.  I am interested in having the same.  Does anyone
> have any
> > recommendations for a good package that can do this?
> >
> > All I currently use is logwatch.  It's nice for my needs to administer,
> but
> > the boss would like to see something that he can understand without
> having to
> > do so much thinking.  Maybe he wants to replace me with a bar-graph.
>
> IMO, more statistics == better.  Your boss would probably agree.
>
> I use a heavily modified version of Mailgraph to get not just the
> stock mailgraph stuff, but a bunch of other data, including the
> effectiveness of our different RBLs, messages greylisted, etc.
>
> I also use a heavily modified version of sa-stats to figure out which
> of our rules are most effective, which hit the most spam/ham, etc.
>
> I've also written a custom log analyzer to get data from ClamAV on
> which viruses we're seeing the most, and a great big log analysis tool
> to generate tons and tons of email statistics.  You can see sample
> output here: http://www.nebrwesleyan.edu/people/stpierre/spam-stats.html
>
> (Note the downtime that MX node experienced last week.)  The code is
> pretty unpolished, and would really only be useful to someone with the
> same setup as us, but it gives you an idea of things you might look at
> graphing.  The Perl is really pretty simple -- File::Tail,
> Parse::Syslog, and GD::Graph are your friend in this endeavor.
>
> I'd also recommend, if you end up writing your own tool, generating
> hard numbers as well as pretty graphs.  You can put the graph showing
> the increase in spam|mail volume|whatever in your slideshow and
> mention the hard numbers in your presentation on why you need N more
> servers and X more sysadmins.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Chris St. Pierre
> Unix Systems Administrator
> Nebraska Wesleyan University
> ----------------------------
> Never send mail to thobrux@nebrwesleyan.edu

GNU-GPL: "May The Source Be With You...

Re: spam graphs

Posted by "Chris St. Pierre" <st...@NebrWesleyan.edu>.

Re: spam graphs

Posted by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net>.

Jim Knuth wrote:
> Heute (05.04.2007/02:34 Uhr) schrieb Luis Hernán Otegui,
>
>> Well, if you have Postfix and Amavis, I've tried amavis-stats (a little bit
>> old now, and frankly, never worked correctly on my Debian-based servers).
>> I'm currently using Mailgraph, from the Debian package. Works like a charm
>> almost out-of-the-box. Though it should be available as a package for
>> another distros...
>

>> Luix
>
>> 2007/4/4, maillist <ma...@emailacs.com>:
>>> I have seen a few people present, on this mail list, nicely detailed
>>> graphs, that obviously were the result of some server output, but they
>>> focused on email, mainly spam.  I am interested in having the same.
>>> Does anyone have any recommendations for a good package that can do this?
>>>
>>> All I currently use is logwatch.  It's nice for my needs to administer,
>>> but the boss would like to see something that he can understand without
>>> having to do so much thinking.  Maybe he wants to replace me with a
>>> bar-graph.
>>>
>>> As always, any help is appreciated.
>>>
>>> -=Aubrey=-
>>>

> I use MRTG for all systemreports. Ram, Swap, httpd, load average,
> CPU usage, CPU temperature and so on.
> http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/
> And I use mailgraph too.

cricket is a nice, and easy to use once you figure out the config files..
http://cricket.sourceforge.net/
or if you really want the boss to think you have too much time on your
hands.. http://www.aditus.nu/jpgraph/
Ken Anderson
Pacific.Net

Re: spam graphs

Posted by maillist <ma...@emailacs.com>.
Jim Knuth wrote:
> Heute (05.04.2007/02:34 Uhr) schrieb Luis Hernán Otegui,
>

>> Well, if you have Postfix and Amavis, I've tried amavis-stats (a little bit
>> old now, and frankly, never worked correctly on my Debian-based servers).
>> I'm currently using Mailgraph, from the Debian package. Works like a charm
>> almost out-of-the-box. Though it should be available as a package for
>> another distros...
>>

>> Luix
>>

>> 2007/4/4, maillist <ma...@emailacs.com>:
>>
>>> I have seen a few people present, on this mail list, nicely detailed
>>> graphs, that obviously were the result of some server output, but they
>>> focused on email, mainly spam.  I am interested in having the same.
>>> Does anyone have any recommendations for a good package that can do this?
>>>
>>> All I currently use is logwatch.  It's nice for my needs to administer,
>>> but the boss would like to see something that he can understand without
>>> having to do so much thinking.  Maybe he wants to replace me with a
>>> bar-graph.
>>>
>>> As always, any help is appreciated.
>>>
>>> -=Aubrey=-
>>>

> I use MRTG for all systemreports. Ram, Swap, httpd, load average,
> CPU usage, CPU temperature and so on.
> http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/
> And I use mailgraph too.

That looks exactly like what I hoped to find.  Many thanks, sir.

-=Aubrey=-

Re: spam graphs

Posted by Jim Knuth <jk...@jkart.de>.

--
Viele Gruesse, Kind regards,
 Jim Knuth
 jk@jkart.de
 ICQ #277289867
----------
Zufalls-Zitat
----------
Am 13.August 1903 wurde der Brite William Shortis nach über drei
Tagen unter der Leiche seiner 224 Pfund schweren Frau Emily
befreit. Sie war auf der Treppe ausgerutscht und auf ihn
gefallen. Besorgte Freunde hatten die Polizei verständigt.
Der Text hat nichts mit dem Empfaenger der Mail zu tun
Virus free. Checked by NOD32 Version 2168 Build 9497  04.04.2007

Re: spam graphs

Posted by Luis Hernán Otegui <lu...@gmail.com>.