Posted to general@gump.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/19 11:50:45 UTC

How to depend on legacy projects?

JMeter currently depends on some legacy Excalibur modules:

excalibur-datasource-1.1.1.jar
excalibur-i18n-1.1.jar
excalibur-instrument-1.0.jar
excalibur-logger-1.1.jar
excalibur-pool-1.2.jar

These are currently referenced using <work nested="lib/xxx">.

All of these are also available in Maven repos, but JMeter does not
use Maven to build - is it possible to tell Gump to depend on the
copies in the repo?

JMeter also depends on jCharts 0.75 and htmlparser, which are not in
Maven as far as I can tell - how can one make these available to Gump?

Re: How to depend on legacy projects?

Posted by Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net>.
> JMeter currently depends on some legacy Excalibur modules:
>
> excalibur-datasource-1.1.1.jar
> excalibur-i18n-1.1.jar
> excalibur-instrument-1.0.jar
> excalibur-logger-1.1.jar
> excalibur-pool-1.2.jar
>
> These are currently referenced using <work nested="lib/xxx">.
>
> All of these are also available in Maven repos, but JMeter does not
> use Maven to build - is it possible to tell Gump to depend on the
> copies in the repo?

Not really except for M2 builds, and even then you wouldn't get the specific
version if Gump knows how to build it.  If you need this specific version,
then <work ... /> is probably the way to go.

> JMeter also depends on jCharts 0.75 and htmlparser, which are not in
> Maven as far as I can tell - how can one make these available to Gump?

Gump used to have jCharts 0.75 as a packaged project.  It could probably be
resurrected.  Htmlparser is a Gump project so <depend project="htmlparser"
/> is enough.

Re: How to depend on legacy projects?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-09-21, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Ant build script now has a download target to fetch the files.

In that case you can still use <work>.  <work> doesn't require the files
to be in place before we start the build process (unless we use Java <
1.4 which we don't).

> Just found that it don't require i18n, but JMeter does need the others.
> It uses Excalibur pooling, so needs:

> excalibur-datasource-1.1.1.jar
> excalibur-logger-1.1.jar (I think)
> excalibur-pool-1.2.jar

are available as projects built from source.

> excalibur-instrument-1.0.jar

I'm just adding this back.

Stefan

Re: How to depend on legacy projects?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 21/09/2009, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2009-09-21, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > On 21/09/2009, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>  >> On 2009-09-19, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  >>> JMeter currently depends on some legacy Excalibur modules:
>
>  >>> excalibur-datasource-1.1.1.jar
>  >>> excalibur-i18n-1.1.jar
>  >>> excalibur-instrument-1.0.jar
>  >>> excalibur-logger-1.1.jar
>  >>> excalibur-pool-1.2.jar
>

>  >> We used to provide some of them as "packaged projects" until last Friday
>  >>  when I removed all packages that weren't used by Ant or Maven 1 built
>  >>  projects.  It shouldn't be too difficult to add them back, but the
>  >>  effect would be the same as using <work> so I'd say stick with <work>.
>

>  > Surely <work> requires that the package be stored within SVN?
>

> Absolutely.  If your goal is to get rid off the jars in svn, then we
>  will have to provide those as packaged projects.

Yes, I am removing the files from SVN.
The Ant build script now has a download target to fetch the files.

>  Do you require all four of them?  The old excalibur-legacy project had
>  i18n-1.1 and instrument-1.0, the others should still be available as
>  Gump-built projects.

Just found that it don't require i18n, but JMeter does need the others.
It uses Excalibur pooling, so needs:

excalibur-datasource-1.1.1.jar
excalibur-instrument-1.0.jar
excalibur-pool-1.2.jar
excalibur-logger-1.1.jar (I think)

It also uses Avalon logging, so needs:
excalibur-logger-1.1.jar

I could perhaps replace Excalibur pooling with Commons Pool, but I've
not looked at that recently.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 21/09/2009, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2009-09-19, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > JMeter currently depends on some legacy Excalibur modules:
>
>  > excalibur-datasource-1.1.1.jar
>  > excalibur-i18n-1.1.jar
>  > excalibur-instrument-1.0.jar
>  > excalibur-logger-1.1.jar
>  > excalibur-pool-1.2.jar
>

> We used to provide some of them as "packaged projects" until last Friday
>  when I removed all packages that weren't used by Ant or Maven 1 built
>  projects.  It shouldn't be too difficult to add them back, but the
>  effect would be the same as using <work> so I'd say stick with <work>.

Surely <work> requires that the package be stored within SVN?
Or am I missing something here?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 02/10/2009, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/10/2009, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
>  > Hey sebb,
>  >
>  >
>  >  On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 10:50 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > JMeter currently depends on some legacy Excalibur modules:
>  >  >
>  >  > excalibur-datasource-1.1.1.jar
>  >  > excalibur-i18n-1.1.jar
>  >  > excalibur-instrument-1.0.jar
>  >  > excalibur-logger-1.1.jar
>  >  > excalibur-pool-1.2.jar
>  >
>  >
>  > Are you sure it really needs those specific versions? Modulo various
>  >  small build system / packaging differences, the excalibur codebase has
>  >  not changed significantly in many many years; I would kind-of expect
>  >  JMeter to work with current excalibur trunk...
>

> Quite possibly - Excalibur is only used for JDBC pooling.

Actually, there seems to be a problem depending on the latest versions
of Excalibur:

   [javac] /srv/gump/public/workspace/jakarta-jmeter/src/protocol/jdbc/org/apache/jmeter/protocol/jdbc/config/DataSourceElement.java:221:
cannot find symbol
   [javac] symbol  : method
enableLogging(org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.LogKitLogger)
   [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.ResourceLimitingJdbcDataSource
   [javac]         source.enableLogging(new LogKitLogger(log));
   [javac]               ^

See:

http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-jmeter/jakarta-jmeter-svn/index.html

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.