Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Giovanni Bechis <gi...@paclan.it> on 2019/06/28 20:01:17 UTC

RelayCountry Geoip2 future

Hi,
latest Geoip2 Perl library has this phrase in their docs:
This module is deprecated and will only receive fixes for major bugs and security vulnerabilities. New features and functionality will not be added.
I fear that Perl will not be supported in the near future and we will have to drop Geoip2 support sooner or later.

   Giovanni

Re: RelayCountry Geoip2 future

Posted by Michael Peddemors <mi...@linuxmagic.com>.
Well, in 'theory' of course, no one country should be 'more spammy' than
other any country. So, the value in SA might be considered less.

If someone wanted to flag/reject messages from a certain country there
are other ways..

(tongue in check)
host -t GEO 8.8.8.8

Yes, it might be nice if everyone was forced to declare where their own
IP(s) are being operated, but in the mean time there are many micro
services to get that data.

Suggest that we think about what micro services might be available in a
broad enough manner, (maybe Apache should consider operating a free
micro service ;) to service all SA customers.

Then it can be handled as a call out, just like RBL Lookups are done.
Of course, just like some RBL's, if the volumes are high enough, the
user MAY have to pay a subscription.

But again, that probably could work for IPv4, but with IPv6 that will be
a whole new can of worms...

Someone should reach out to companies like MaxMind, https://ipinfo.io/
and others..

Maybe one of those companies would see enough 'marketing' value to let
all SA customers get a taste..

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."

Re: RelayCountry Geoip2 future