Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Klaus Tockloth <kl...@googlemail.com> on 2010/09/17 16:11:21 UTC

jmeter proxy: how to unzip client traffic during recording

Hi,

the http traffic I'm interested in to record is gzipped (the client sends
zipped data to the server). The result is recorded binary traffic which
cannot be easy modified. It's very difficult to modify the client in order
to suppress compression. So my question: Is there an option or extension for
the proxy to uncompress the client traffic during recording?

Thanks for any advice - Klaus

Re: jmeter proxy: how to unzip client traffic during recording

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
>JMeter can not handle the compressed  traffic in the required way.
When the server sends compressed responses , JMeter should be able to handle
it just fine (assuming you have a text mime type of text/html and an
encoding of gzip) - and your assertions should work.

Not sure of whether JMeter can support when the client sends compressed
request (but your original question was related to the proxy) - if
HTTPclient supports it then it should be possible

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18 September 2010 10:13, Klaus Tockloth
<kl...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> My environment:
> - The client sends compressed requests.
> - The server sends compressed responses.
>
> My requirements:
> - I have to modify the requests.
> - I have to check assertions in the responses.
>
> Your advice:
> - JMeter can not handle the compressed  traffic in the required way.

Sort of.

JMeter can handle compressed server traffic.

> - Disable compression on both sides.
>
> Right?

No, I did not say that.

But if you can disable compression, it will make things a lot easier.

Posted by Klaus Tockloth <kl...@googlemail.com>.
My environment:

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17 September 2010 15:55, karl@sitestress.eu <ka...@sitestress.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> think you should disable the client (Firefox to use gzip) to use gzip, aka
> disallow to use gzip. The server should answer uncompressed content.
> The Client sends a header about the capabilities. One of the capabilities is
> to accept gzip content.
>
> http://forgetmenotes.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-to-disable-gzip-compression-in.html

However, the original question was about decompressing client data,
not suppressing server compression.

Posted by "karl@sitestress.eu" <ka...@sitestress.eu>.
Hi,