Posted to users@ws.apache.org by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@alterbox.hr> on 2003/09/05 14:31:17 UTC

Pushing data from server to client

Hi.

Does Apache's XML-RPC implementation support some kind of asynch pushing of data from server to client ? Since XML-RPC protocol uses HTTP for transport which is in its nature request-response protocol, and not statefull, I doubt it could be realized then ? Or am I wrong ?

Regards,
Vjeran

Re: Pushing data from server to client

Posted by Aaron Kraft <kr...@aol.com>.
Vjeran,

I am not an expert on xml-rpc, but have gotten a decent application to
run with it.  I am using a servlet through the tomcat engine.  My
configuration has apache accepting http requess, forwarding servlet
communications to the tomcat server.  The servlet does maintain state.
The implementation is a java library that has to be built into an
application like a servlet.

Aaron

Posted by Marek Zakowicz <Ma...@atm.com.pl>.
Hi,
I think sometimes about extending xml-rpc for event support. IMHO it is possible, but not simple,
however interesting :).
Event interface need multi-threading support on client side - client must use "event listener
thread". Of course it should be embedded in library, because using event should be extremely
comfortable to use :)
Probably, every subscribed (by client) event interface should use separate thread (only on client
side/server side/both ?), but it still need analyse and design.

Other trouble is not pure application of http. How you note http is request-response protocol.
However (IMHO) http push is possible by multipart/x-mixed-replace content. If you are interesting
for this way, we can try to design this solution.

Of course instead of push is possible, to use active client, that ask server for events, but it is
not scalable, and I'm not interesting for this way.

--
Best Regards
Marek Zakowicz