Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/03 03:08:36 UTC

February 2016 SystemML Incubator Podling Report - Draft

Hi,

The SystemML podling report for February is due tomorrow. Please let me
know if any additions or changes need to be made to the following draft.

Deron

------------

SystemML

SystemML provides declarative large-scale machine learning (ML) that aims at
flexible specification of ML algorithms and automatic generation of hybrid
runtime plans ranging from single node, in-memory computations, to
distributed computations running on Apache Hadoop MapReduce and Apache
Spark.

SystemML has been incubating since 2015-11-02.

  1. Grow SystemML community: increase mailing list activity,
     increase adoption of SystemML for scalable machine learning, encourage
     data scientists to adopt DML and PyDML algorithm scripts, respond to
     user feedback to ensure SystemML meets the requirements of real-world
     situations, write papers, and present talks about SystemML.
  2. Core library improvements, including Apache Spark integration.
  3. Produce a release.

aware of?

  Our JIRA site is up and operational.

  Our mailing list in January had 123 messages (7 of which were Jenkins). We
  have had several useful discussions on the mailing list concerning various
  aspects of SystemML. A data scientist has created JIRAs regarding
usability
  issues and we are addressing these issues. We have had several useful
  additional discussions on our JIRA site and in our Pull Request
  conversations.

  Numerous additions have been made to the project, including core
  functionality, usability improvements, and documentation. The project has
had
  96 commits since January 6. In the last 30 days, 126 new issues have been
  reported on our JIRA site and 68 issues have been resolved. We are in the
  process of producing our first Apache release, version 0.9.0.
  RC3 passed the SystemML PMC vote and is currently being voted on by the
IPMC.

Date of last release:

  NONE

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  NONE

Re: February 2016 SystemML Incubator Podling Report - Draft

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Based on useful feedback, I modified the draft slightly.

I have posted the current report version to
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/February2016 since it is due today. Let
me know if any further edits are required.

Thanks,
Deron

Re: February 2016 SystemML Incubator Podling Report - Draft

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I see you edited the report on the incubator wiki. Thank you!

I had to review as a mentor, did a quick update.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: February 2016 SystemML Incubator Podling Report - Draft

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
I see you edited the report on the incubator wiki. Thank you!

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luciano,

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The SystemML podling report for February is due tomorrow. Please let me
> know if any additions or changes need to be made to the following draft.
>
> Deron
>
> ------------
>
> SystemML
>
> SystemML provides declarative large-scale machine learning (ML) that aims
> at
> flexible specification of ML algorithms and automatic generation of hybrid
> runtime plans ranging from single node, in-memory computations, to
> distributed computations running on Apache Hadoop MapReduce and Apache
> Spark.
>
> SystemML has been incubating since 2015-11-02.
>
> Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
>
>   1. Grow SystemML community: increase mailing list activity,
>      increase adoption of SystemML for scalable machine learning, encourage
>      data scientists to adopt DML and PyDML algorithm scripts, respond to
>      user feedback to ensure SystemML meets the requirements of real-world
>      situations, write papers, and present talks about SystemML.
>   2. Core library improvements, including Apache Spark integration.

This is not a block for graduating. Graduation is about learning the
"Apache way" and being about community over code, diversity, etc. Nothing
specific to code stage or quality.

>   3. Produce a release.

You can also say that this is in progress.