Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rodrigo Asensio <ra...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/03 19:21:04 UTC

tomcat 7 in debian/ubuntu

anyone knows when debian/ubuntu is getting the package for tomcat 7 ??

Re: tomcat 7 in debian/ubuntu

Posted by Mario Kleinsasser <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

i would like to support your work on developing a (Linux) system independent
package or Debian package. We have developed something similar for our own
private needs (http://sourceforge.net/projects/smsgw/files/installer/1.11/)
but we are currently switched back to building binary Debian packages for
our private project builds. Currently at work we are also making deb based
packages for distributing Tomcat in our web-farm.

The primary private idea was to make something similar to the .bin
installation of Java. But that isn't a trivial task because it needs a lot
of experience about distributions, distribution updates and often you have
to know what is the lowest common denominator of all.

But in fact, it would be very, very nice for straight forward users if there
will be a system independent (script powered) package, because every
packages system (deb, rpm, pkg etc......) is a little miracle of its own. Do
you know if there is a Tomcat group about this topic. I'am interested in
joining the discussion.

Mario

--
http://www.n0r1sk.com