Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Jan Kowalik <ko...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/20 15:54:19 UTC

Profiler, profile rules and resolvers

Hi all

I'd like to ask you for some help, as I don't fully get that profile
rules and profiler.

What I want to do is make guests, basically everyone see only pages
defined in 'pages/' directory with some constraints of course.
Well, I have it done and I have modified folder.metadata file to do
what I want.
Now, after logging in, I want it to show pages defined for users roles
(_role/<user_role> directory) and for users itself (_user/<user_name>
directory). I'd like them to have all what is available for guests and
that what is defined particularly for each of them.
Any hints how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

What does group.role.user resolver and how does it differ from group,
role and user resolvers ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

--
Jan

Re: Profiler, profile rules and resolvers

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Jan,

Yes, the "page" locators are used by default to find PSML pages and
construct menus.

Its the rules, (e.g. "user-role-fallback"), that are used to change the
default behavior of Jetspeed.

There are more advanced usages of the profiler and site that will allow
you to use alternate/additional/multiple locators, but best to start by
simply overriding the "page" locators. That is what most people need to
do first.

Randy

Posted by Jan Kowalik <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Jan,

What you describe is a simple application of the "user-role-fallback'
rule for the "page" locator. For each PSML page request, the user folder
is checked first, then the roles folders for the user, and lastly, the
default, (or guest), page locations.

There are many other profiling rules that use different criteria and
fallback modes. These include groups the user belongs to, subsites,
media types, and other attributes. Once you get the "user-role-fallback"
working to your satisfaction, try some of the others! You can even
compose your own criteria/rules if necessary.

Randy