Posted to ivy-dev@incubator.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2007/10/11 08:20:47 UTC

Infrastructure (was Re: [RESULT] Ivy has Graduated as an Ant Subproject)

OK, now comes the work ...

I've already updated the incubator site, granted all three Ivy
committers svn karma for Ant and will soon add a small blurb to Ant's
new page.

We will at least need to:

* migrate svn content

* migrate the mailing lists

* migrate the website

* maybe migrate Wiki content

* add the three Ivy committers to the ant Unix group.

I suggest that Xavier, Maarten and Gilles join dev@ant so that we can
hash out the details without CCing two lists.

I'm glad to have you on board now!

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: Infrastructure

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
2007/10/12, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>:

> Ok, so let's decide upon the destination. IMHO
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy would be nice,

+1

--
Gilles SCOKART

Re: Infrastructure

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/12/07, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/12/07, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >> First of all, discuss and make decisions 8-)

> >> If we know where to put it, you can move the svn content
> >> immediately.  You already have committe access to both the source
> >> and target locations.
> >
> > Ok, so let's decide upon the destination. IMHO
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy would be nice,
>
> +1
>
> >> For the website, migration should be pretty easy if we use the same
> >>
> >> Hmm.  I once started to build /ant/site (in svn) but we still use a
> >> part of Ant's core subversion area for the website.  I wouldn't
> >> want to add Ivy's documentation to Ant's core (or Ant's site to
> >> Ivy).
> >
> > I don't want either, but ATM Ivy site is not integrated to incubator
> > site, and Ivy is reachable at incubator.apache.org/ivy/. So why not
> > take the same approach here?
>
> We can do that as a first step and think about an integrated solution
> later.  If you check in your site into svn somewhere under ant/ivy any
> person with an Unix account in the Ant group can check it out to
> people.apache.org and the site would go live.

We used to have our site in svn, but now we generate it and publish it using
ssh. We have a build.xml for that, so we only need to change the destination
location in the build.xml and publish the site, this should be pretty easy.

One question: How do we handle relocation for people having bookmarked pages
@ incubator.apache.org/ivy/?

Xavier

Stefan

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Infrastructure

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't want either, but ATM Ivy site is not integrated to
>> incubator site, and Ivy is reachable at
>> incubator.apache.org/ivy/. So why not take the same approach here?
>
> We can do that as a first step and think about an integrated
> solution later.  If you check in your site into svn somewhere under
> ant/ivy any person with an Unix account in the Ant group

this includes all three "fresh" Ant committers now

Re: Infrastructure

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Infrastructure

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/12/07, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/11/07, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > We will at least need to:
> >>
> >> * migrate svn content
> >>
> >> * migrate the mailing lists
> >>
> >> * migrate the website
> >>
> >> * maybe migrate Wiki content
> >>
> >> * add the three Ivy committers to the ant Unix group.
> >

> > What can we do to help for these points?
>
> First of all, discuss and make decisions 8-)
>
> > For the svn content, mailing lists and ant unix group, I don't see
> > anything we can do.
>
> If we know where to put it, you can move the svn content immediately.
> You already have committe access to both the source and target
> locations.

Ok, so let's decide upon the destination. IMHO
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy would be nice, as I think Ivy is a
little more than other antlibs. But if you prefer
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/antlibs/ivy or anything else I won't
object :-)

> For the website, migration should be pretty easy if we use the same
> > pattern as we did in incubation: put the Ivy website under
> > /www/ant.apache.org/ivy/ instead of /www/incubator.apache.org/ivy/.
>
> Hmm.  I once started to build /ant/site (in svn) but we still use a
> part of Ant's core subversion area for the website.  I wouldn't want
> to add Ivy's documentation to Ant's core (or Ant's site to Ivy).

I don't want either, but ATM Ivy site is not integrated to incubator site,
and Ivy is reachable at incubator.apache.org/ivy/. So why not take the same
approach here? I don't know how you manage Ant's site, but it shouldn't be
too complex to get a /www/ant.apache.org/ivy/ managed as the Ivy site, is
it?

> For the wiki I don't know if we need to migrate something.
>
> I don't think we do, just need to add some links.

Agreed.

Re: Infrastructure

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Infrastructure (was Re: [RESULT] Ivy has Graduated as an Ant Subproject)

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/11/07, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> OK, now comes the work ...
>
> I've already updated the incubator site, granted all three Ivy
> committers svn karma for Ant and will soon add a small blurb to Ant's
> new page.

Great!

We will at least need to:

> * migrate svn content
>
> * migrate the mailing lists
>
> * migrate the website
>
> * maybe migrate Wiki content
>
> * add the three Ivy committers to the ant Unix group.

What can we do to help for these points? For the svn content, mailing lists
and ant unix group, I don't see anything we can do.

For the website, migration should be pretty easy if we use the same pattern
as we did in incubation: put the Ivy website under /www/ant.apache.org/ivy/
instead of /www/incubator.apache.org/ivy/.

For the wiki I don't know if we need to migrate something. The wiki is
available at  http://wiki.apache.org/ivy/ which is not specific to
incubation. And one less migration task is not a bad thing IMO :-)

I suggest that Xavier, Maarten and Gilles join dev@ant so that we can
> hash out the details without CCing two lists.

Agreed.

I'm glad to have you on board now!

Thanks, I'm glad to join!

Cheers,