Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bárbara Vieira <ba...@di.uminho.pt> on 2007/11/16 12:33:00 UTC

Different Realms with Differents Authentications Mecanisms

Hi everyone!

I have an application based on servlets, and two different authentication
mechanisms. The user can be authenticated with client
certificate(CERT-CLIENT), if there is a client certificate installed on the
web browser. And can be authenticated using an HTML form(FORM)  if the first
method doesn’t authenticate the user. My problem is that I’m able to
authenticate a user, using the Subject Distinguished Name as a username on
HTML form, without a password.

I found a solution that might be right, but a have a question about that:

Can I configure different Reamls to use on differents authentications
mechanisms in the same application?

Regards from Braga, Portugal

Bárbara Vieira

RE: Different Realms with Differents Authentications Mecanisms

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Bárbara Vieira [mailto:barbarasv@di.uminho.pt]
> Subject: Different Realms with Differents Authentications Mecanisms
>
> Can I configure different Reamls to use on differents authentications
> mechanisms in the same application?

I don't think so, at least not without modifying Tomcat source.  However, you could use the JAAS Realm, and supply two login modules, one for each mechanism.  JAAS allows you to configure such an environment as "all pass" or "any pass", and you'd want the latter.

 - Chuck