Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2003/12/28 10:42:12 UTC

Procrun improvements

Hi,

There are some problems with procrun for the VM setup. Right now, the
only setting which works AFAIK is using "java" and letting procrun
detect the VM using the Windows registry.

I think the following two items should be supported:
- I think it should be possible to specify a path to the JVM base
directory (this feature is supposed to be present, but doesn't actually
work for reasons I can't remember); using the config dialog to change
the JVM path makes the config dialog refuse to start again
- when using "java", procrun should look at the JAVA_HOME env property
before looking in the registry, to be consistent with all Java based
tools available

Rémy

Re: Procrun improvements

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
> There are some problems with procrun for the VM setup. Right now, the
> only setting which works AFAIK is using "java" and letting procrun
> detect the VM using the Windows registry.
>
> I think the following two items should be supported:
> - I think it should be possible to specify a path to the JVM base
> directory (this feature is supposed to be present, but doesn't actually
> work for reasons I can't remember); using the config dialog to change
> the JVM path makes the config dialog refuse to start again
> - when using "java", procrun should look at the JAVA_HOME env property
> before looking in the registry, to be consistent with all Java based
> tools available

If you want to open a commons BZ item for this, I can attach patches for it
(I'm not a commons committer, so the round-about is all we've got if you
want to go through me :).

RE: Procrun improvements

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

The procrun is a little bit clumsy to maintain.
I'm working on the 2.0 version that will have spitted code
in few files that will be easier to maintain, with lots of
enhancements.

The question is do you need the mentioned features _now_,
if there is a new release on the horizon, or this can wait
for a week or two?

MT.