Posted to user@struts.apache.org by sharath karnati <ka...@yahoo.com> on 2010/01/06 22:36:54 UTC

Need your input.

Dear All,

  I'm having following requirement and can you please let me know how to do this using struts2.

  Say EmployeeAction having EmpBean (getter & setter)

  EmpBean:

     private long emp_id;
     private String first_name;
     private String last_name;
     private String class_name;

In user interface(UI), I have 2 text fields for entering first_name and last_name.. when user enters this information and selecting 'Add' button it will display one row in same page like below

    First Name     Last Name
     Mike              Rojer               Remove
     Smith            Gates              Remove

   After entering multiple entries user will submit the page.

  I'm using jQuery, how to add multiple rows dynamically pressing 'Add' button and how to populate these beans in backend EmployeeAction...

   Can anyone please let me know how to solve this problem using Struts2 + jQuery.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Sharath.

Re: Need your input.

Posted by Gabriel Belingueres <be...@gmail.com>.
If you will submit multiple EmpBean, your action will need some sort
of Collection<EmpBean> (a List or Map I commonly use) with its getter
& setter.

You must name correctly your input parameters so that the
ParameterInterceptor assign them right, that is, you name it as the
collection variable, indexed by some key (if using a List the index is
an integer >= 0, if using a Map, anything that can be used as a map
key.)

when you "Add" a new EmpBean, you create hidden fields with the following names:

<input type="hidden" name="myCollection[0].first_name" value="..." />
<input type="hidden" name="myCollection[0].last_name" value="..." />

<input type="hidden" name="myCollection[1].first_name" value="..." />
<input type="hidden" name="myCollection[1].last_name" value="..." />

and so on...

the part of adding the fields to a table with jQuery is pure client
side javascript so it is independent of using S2 or any other web
framework, just remember to add a hidden input field in the client
side table to preserve the data you will submit at once later.