Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au> on 2019/09/23 08:03:51 UTC

Any git gurus able to help?

Our recent commits aren't showing up in the commit history via the Github
web GUI.

When trying to do a push I see things like:

remote:  ! [rejected]        8df830782e96c4fa97648aa965f5a85255aff995 ->
master (fetch first)
remote: error: failed to push some refs to 'git@github:apache/groovy.git'
remote: hint: Updates were rejected because the remote contains work that
you do
remote: hint: not have locally. This is usually caused by another
repository pushing
remote: hint: to the same ref. You may want to first integrate the remote
changes
remote: hint: (e.g., 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
remote: hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for
details.
remote: Syncing refs/heads/master...
remote: Error: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'decode'
remote: Sending notification emails to: ['"commits@groovy.apache.org" <
commits@groovy.apache.org>']
remote: Error running hook: /x1/gitbox/hooks/post-receive.d/01-sync-repo.py

But doing git pull says "Already up to date.".

My initial google search seems to indicate that python scripts - possibly
how Apache does the syncing can show errors like this if some expected
metadata is corrupt or blank. I can ask ASF infra if they can amend their
scripts but if it is our metadata that is corrupt, perhaps we can fix it.

Then again, it might be something else that I have missed completely.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Paul.

Re: Any git gurus able to help?

Posted by Thibault Kruse <ti...@googlemail.com>.
To debug we'd need to know the branches you work on, so the outputs of
git branch at either stage. E.g. consider this situations:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8901973/why-git-push-is-rejected-git-pull-doesnt-help
Also note that on stackoverflow, you are likely to get great help
quickly about this topic.