Posted to users@maven.apache.org by DM <do...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2007/08/24 19:12:58 UTC

provided dependencies

Hi,

I have two maven modules, policy-core and policy-webapp. policy-webapp depends on policy-core, and they are packaged as a war and jar respectively. Both modules have the following dependency:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
      <artifactId>servlet-api</artifactId>
      <version>2.3</version>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>

When I package policy-webapp, I get both the following JARs in WEB-INF\lib

servlet-api-2.5-6.0.1.jar
servlet-api-2.3.jar

Obviously I don't want any servlet-api JARs in WEB-INF\lib becuase they should be provided by the container - this is why I set the scope to 'provided'.
Both policy-core and policy-webapp extend the same POM, but their parent POM doesn't mention servlet-api, so I don't think this is particularly relevant.

Any idea why these JARs are being copied to WEB-INF\lib and how I can prevent this?

Thanks in Advance,
DM

Re: provided dependencies

Posted by Tommy Knowlton <To...@KE4KUG.net>.
my guess would be that both modules depend transitively on the
javax.servlet in the runtime scope.

but, since guessing is not likely to be very helpful, may I recommend
the maven-dependency-plugin, which can give you a report that may
help you to locate the actual dependency chain that ends up bringing
those in. Then, you should decide whether to use <exclusions/>
elements in the <dependency/> declarations of those things that ended
up bringing it in.

Hope that helps,
\Tommy