Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@preset.io> on 2020/04/03 19:30:38 UTC

[DISCUSS] The need to version objects (dashboard, charts, ...) in Superset

Hi all,

At our bi-weekly committers meeting, Grace brought up a user story around
versioning and collision around dashboards. We decided to *not* deep dive
in the context of the meeting and to start a thread here instead.

Some things to discuss:
* the more immediate need to prevent collisions, perhaps looking at the
last updated ts on an object and notifying the user / allowing them to
"save as" or force-overwrite, but making it clear who the last updater was,
* the need to keep track of version history log, and allow users to diff,
explore, and restore previous versions
* which objects are affected: dashboards for sure, charts too, "saved
queries", ...?

What are some next steps here: SIP(s)? Design work? Clarify ownership?

Max