Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2010/05/05 08:50:45 UTC

Remove the version policy from the parent plugin?

Hi,

some time ago we introduced a version policy configuration for the
maven-bundle-plugin in our parent pom:
<_versionpolicy>$${version;===;${@}}</_versionpolicy>

Basically this includes the patch part of a version number in an import
package statement. This was necessary as we were not doing proper
version management with our own modules and a version 2.0.4 might have
introduced new API compared to version 2.0.2 - therefore an import to
just 2.0 would not work for modules requiring 2.0.4

We now fixed the version handling in many modules - not all yet, but we
are on our way and I think by the time of our new Sling maintenance
release (Sling 6) we have fixed nearly all of them.

I think this is one reason for removing the policy before we do a new
parent release. The other one is that this policy is for all package
imports and this includes package imports from 3rd party bundles and
also from the osgi core/compendium. I just ran into a problem where my
bundle had an import on a 1.3.x version of the service tracker whereas
the runtime environment only exported 1.3.(x-1) - my bundle would have
run in that environment without any problems but it never came to this
situation as it couldn't get resolved.

So in short, I think we should remove the policy now :)

WDYT?

Regards
Carsten
--