Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by em...@unisys.com.br on 2008/10/16 17:50:43 UTC

Tomcat manager - Two instances problem!

I just installed the tomcat 5.5 with two instances running in the same ip
address, but in different ports. Its works but the manager just work in one
of them. The manager for the second port show me the following error:

HTTP Status 500 -

  _____

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Error allocating a servlet instance

org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase
.java:524)

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105
)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processC
onnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.jav
a:527)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWo
rkerThread.java:80)

a:684)
        java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

root cause

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/catalina/manager/ManagerServlet
        java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
        java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)

java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClassInternal(WebappClassLo
ader.java:1815)

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:869)

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1322)

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1201)
        java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase
.java:524)

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105
)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processC
onnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.jav
a:527)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWo
rkerThread.java:80)

a:684)
        java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache
Tomcat/5.5 logs.

Can someone help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance

Emilio Muno

RE: Tomcat manager - Two instances problem!

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: emilio@unisys.com.br [mailto:emilio@unisys.com.br]
> Subject: Tomcat manager - Two instances problem!

(Odd that unisys.com.br is not a resolvable DNS name, even from inside the corporate network...)

> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> org/apache/catalina/manager/ManagerServlet

Looks like the server/webapps directory is missing, corrupt, or inaccessible in your second copy of Tomcat.  Do a directory comparison of the two installations to see if anything's different.

Also, if you're running on Windows (you didn't bother to tell us the platform or JDK/JRE level), and the same jar locations are being used by both Tomcat instances, you may need to set the antiJARLocking attribute for any webapps that are sharing jar locations; look here for details:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html#Standard%20Implementation

 - Chuck

P.S. Please don't send the same question multiple times.