Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2005/03/21 17:54:49 UTC

WIP: tables

Luca mentioned that he has been working on lists. So after the branch is
now in place and some basic features are working I'll be working on
resurrecting table support now. JFYI.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: WIP: tables

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Don't worry, I'm not trying to solve auto table layout. Take line-height
> on a block or block-progression-dimension on an external-graphic, for
> example. Both support min/opt/max values which means that the generated
> vboxes can (theoretically) get stretch and shrink, too. I don't think we
> have code for this, yet, but still the page breaking algorithm can work
> with it (or rather with appended special glue elements). Of course, in
> an initial implementation we would probably not take this into account
> (for table cells) but I want to think about it because it may tell me if
> there's a better approach to take than the one I'm currently favoring.
> My post is almost ready so I can explain in detail...

I see now. Thanks for taking the time to clarify this for me.

Chris

Re: WIP: tables

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

On 22.03.2005 10:50:39 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > Thanks. But well, I've just realized that I neglected a certain aspect
> > of table layout in my preparations which turns out not to be so simple.
> > Some might have seen my notes on the Wiki about breaking cells [1]. This
> > was done while I was still thinking in terms of the old approach. Now
> > with the Knuth element lists the problem presents itself in a different
> > look. We've got to build a combined Knuth element list for a table row
> > from element lists of the individual cells. Turns out to be relatively
> > straight-forward if you only deal with fixed width boxes and normal
> > penalties. As soon as stretch/shrink flows into the equation things look
> > like they can get real messy. I'm currently preparing two different
> > approaches for discussion (will appear on [1]). I wonder how Luca
> > handled lists which is a similar problem.
>
> Please excuse my ignorance, but why do you need to take cells that
> shrink/stretch into the equation? Are you trying to allow for auto table
> layout?? IMHO for a first release auto table layout is a bridge too far.
>
> Chris

Jeremias Maerki

Re: WIP: tables

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

Re: WIP: tables

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/TableLayout

On 22.03.2005 09:53:33 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > Luca mentioned that he has been working on lists. So after the branch is
> > now in place and some basic features are working I'll be working on
> > resurrecting table support now. JFYI.
>
> Thanks for letting us know Jeremias. Good luck.
>
> Chris

Jeremias Maerki

Re: WIP: tables

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.