Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2004/04/08 09:35:52 UTC

Re: Ant 1.6 and Jelly/Maven

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Brett Porter <bp...@f2network.com.au> wrote:

> Ok, I've gotten myself on dev@ant

Cool.

> because I'm interested in that anyway, so I won't cross-post to gump
> again :)

OK, last cross-post so that people interested in that issue know to
join dev@ant.

>> I didn't know that Maven had a problem with Ant 1.6, even
>> though I am subscribed to the Maven dev list.  We really
>> should collaborate on issues like this - if you Maven guys
>> have trouble with Ant, please tell us Ant guys.
>
> We did discuss it on dev for a while. dIon made the changes and we
> rolled it back when we saw some incompatibilities.

Can you point into any direction?  What kind of incompatibilities have
that been?  It may help to resolve the Jelly issue.

> The future versions of Maven will probably use Maven differently and
> Jelly sparingly, so it may be a non-issue.

I've read that on commons-dev.

>> How does Maven integrate with Ant?  The classloading changes
>> shouldn't affect Maven unless it runs Ant via the command line
>> interface or the new Launcher class.  Do you have any details here?
>
> commons-grant. It defines a derived AntClassLoader, AntProject and
> propshandler to integrate a jelly context.

Much if not all of grant can be replaced with different solutions in
Ant 1.6.  The property handling can be done by a pluggable
PropertyHelper and IIRC the classloader stuff inside Grant has become
obsolete with Ant 1.6 (I vaguely recall Bob McWirter saying so).

Hmm, Jelly uses Grant as well, so maybe this is a first trace for the
problem we see.

Stefan

Re: Ant 1.6 and Jelly/Maven

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hmm, Jelly uses Grant as well, so maybe this is a first trace for
> the problem we see.

Completely wrong.  I think I've found it and next night's Gump run
will show.

Jelly doesn't set the ant.file property on project instances it
creates and Ant.java has a new check to guard against Ant targets that
invoke themselves.  I've modified the check to not die with an NPE if
the property hasn't been set and am currently running the test suite
before I commit it.

Next week I'll try to get the attention of a Jelly developer for two
things.  First, let them set the ant.file property in the Ant taglib
and second get them to provide useful exceptions.  The NPE that is
printed out by Gump is really an NPE thrown inside Ant, but nobody can
see the stack-trace.  I had to revert to System.err debugging.

Stefan