Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Xinyi Yan <ya...@apache.org> on 2021/01/29 00:35:27 UTC

[Discuss] Dropping support for older HBase version

Hi,

I'm thinking to drop the number of supported HBase versions for future
releases. For example, the HBase 1.3 was EOM'd in August 2020, do we still
consider support it for 4.17.0? Similarly, our current master branch also
supports EOM'd HBase version. If phoenix users already upgraded their
HBase, we should not spend time supporting these old versions IMO.

I think we should do it after 4.16.0 and 5.1.0, thoughts?

Thanks,
Xinyi

Re: [Discuss] Dropping support for older HBase version

Posted by Istvan Toth <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Having a formal policy on maintaining HBase support would provide a peace
of mind to users.

* When do we drop support for minor HBase releases ?
  * As soon as they are EOL ?
  * Do we want to declare a grace period ?
* What happens if a new HBase patch release is incompatible ?
  * We may want to keep the old compatibility module in the code if we have
already released a version where it is supported
* Do we drop support for HBase releases in Phoenix patch versions ?
(provided we plan to release them in the future)
   * So far we didn't make an issue of dropping support for older HBase
patch releases in master, as we didn't have a release that supports
them anyway.

Dropping Hbase 1.3 support would allow for a major simplification in the
compat code.
Dropping the rest of the versions wouldn't buy us much (apart from CI
resource usage)

Istvan

--
*István Tóth* | Staff Software Engineer
stoty@cloudera.com <https://www.cloudera.com>

Re: [Discuss] Dropping support for older HBase version

Posted by Istvan Toth <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
I agree that having such a policy does place a burden on us, and we need to
balance the commitments we make and the workload it generates
versus the greater user confidence and possible increased adoption that it
could result in.

I feel that publishing such guidelines, and sticking to them ( as well as
actually making timely-ish releases)
would go a long way towards addressing the image / confidence deficit that
Phoenix (especially and deservedly Phoenix on HBase 2) anecdotally has.

Also, I feel that we already have a pretty good mechanism to handle the
differences in HBase capabilities via the compatibility modules, and
specifically the
HbaseCompatCapabilities mechanism.

Of course this policy would be a guideline, not a guarantee and worded as
such.
Even if we do not publish it, reaching a consensus on the mailing list
would be useful internally.

regards
Istvan

Posted by Istvan Toth <st...@cloudera.com>.