Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Feng Ji <fe...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/04 19:18:29 UTC

how to combine two run's result for search

Hi there,

In Nutch 08, I have crawled down from two webDB independently.

For each run, I did invertlinks and index. So each one is searchable.

Now I want to combine them togeter for search. I tried "merge" command to
merge two indexes, but the search for the result index output dir is dull.
Do I need put output dir to the same directory as above two crawl/ ?

I wonder what is proper steps to combine two seperate run into one search
result. Do I need to combine two webdb, merge two segments and do
invertlinks and do index?

thanks your time,

Michael,

Re: selective index searching

Posted by iimchuckles <ii...@gmail.com>.
Hello All,

I've followed the instructions below and for the purpose of searching
multiple indexes at the same time it works great.

I have a crawl directory with multiple indexes beneath it
crawl/category1/section1
crawl/category1/section2
crawl/category2/section1
crawl/category2/section2

How can I search category1/section1 and category2/section1 for term "help
text"
Would using a multisearcher help here or is there a way of specificying the
indexes you want to use?
Possibly create a new field for each item during a crawl/index "cat:1,sec:2"
and then merging all indexes into one and searching on specified fields?
Am I traveling down the right path? or am I lost?

Thanks in advance,
Chad

Zaheed Haque wrote:

> Hi:
> Assuming you have
>
> index 1 at /data/crawl1
> index 2 at /data/crawl2
>
> In nutch-site.xml
> searcher.dir = /data
>
> Under /data you have a text file called search-server.txt (I think do
> check nutch-site search.dir description please)
>
> In the text file you will have the following
>
> hostname1 portnumber
> hostname2 portnumber
>
> example
> localhost 1234
> localhost 5678
>
> Then you need to start
> bin/nutch server 1234 /data/craw1 &
> and
> bin/nutch server 5678 /data/crawl2 &
> now try
> bin/nutch org.apache.nutch.search.NutchBean www
> you should see results :-)
> Cheers

Sent from the Nutch - User forum at Nabble.com.

Re: how to combine two run's result for search

Posted by Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com>.

tomi@potjeh ~/posao/nutch/novo/nutch-0.8 $ ./bin/nutch
org.apache.nutch.search.NutchBean bobdocs
org/apache/nutch/search/NutchBean
tomi@potjeh ~/posao/nutch/novo/nutch-0.8 $

It doesn't really tell me if tomcat is the problem, does it? I've
added debug statements to the nutch script so I can check if my
CLASSPATH is correct. I have no idea why nutch can't find the
NutchBean class.
I have, however, checked out the nutch 0.8 and hadoop 0.5 sources from
the svn repository, imported them into an eclipse project and used the
DistributedSearch Client and Server "public static void main" methods.
My experiments showed that my problem is not with tomcat or the nutch
web UI, because the DistributedSearch.Client also returned 0 results
regardless of the query or combination of indexes. I've managed to
confirm that the Client sees all the search servers, but it simply
fails to return any results.
I also ran across something in the logs that I didn't see before. The
following is periodically output (regardless of what I'm doing in
eclipse, as long as the Client thread is active):

2006-09-18 13:55:30,352 INFO  searcher.DistributedSearch - STATS: 2
servers, 2 segments.
2006-09-18 13:55:40,539 INFO  searcher.DistributedSearch - Querying
segments from search servers...
2006-09-18 13:55:40,559 INFO  searcher.DistributedSearch - STATS: 2
servers, 2 segments.
2006-09-18 13:55:50,564 INFO  searcher.DistributedSearch - Querying
segments from search servers...

Going back to square one...am I building the crawls correctly?
./bin/nutch crawl urls -threads 15 -topN 10 -depth 3

Is it the fact that I'm doing an intranet crawl every time, instead of
the multi-step whole web crawl? What else, what am I missing?

t.n.a.

Re: how to combine two run's result for search

Posted by Zaheed Haque <za...@gmail.com>.
Hi:

I have just checked your flash movie.. quick observation you are
running tomcat 4.1.31 and there is nothing you are doing that seems
wrong. Anyway after starting the servers can you search using the
following command

bin/nutch org.apache.nutch.search.NutchBean bobdocs

what do you get .. and what's in the logfile?

If you get something then probably its tomcat 4.1.31 is  the problem.

/Zaheed

Posted by Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com>.
On 9/16/06, Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The above means that you have an empty nutch-site.xml under
> > > webapps/ROOT and you have a nutch-default.xml with a searcher.dir
> > > property = crawl. Am I correct? cos you left the deployed web app
> > > untouched? no?
> >
> > You are correct, the searcher.dir property is set to "crawl".

> > > If I remember it correctly I had some trouble with symlink once but I
> > > don't exactly remember why.. maybe you can try without symlink..
> >
> > I tried renaming the directory "crawls" to "crawl", then running the
> > servers like so:
> > ./nutch-0.8/bin/nutch server 8192 crawl/crawl1 &
> > ./nutch-0.8/bin/nutch server 8193 crawl/crawl2 &

> > > I am guessing the above is also a symlink.. hmm.. maybe it has
> > > something to do with distributed search and symlink.. no?
> >
> > It doesn't appear to be the problem. I tried without symlinks without success.
> >
> > I'm going to document the problem better today, so maybe that will help.
> > I'm having trouble believing what I'm trying to achieve is so
> > problematic...nevertheless, I appreciate your  effort so far.
>
> I don't think I can document the problem better than I have here:
> http://tna.sharanet.org/problem.html
>
> It's a 2-minute flash movie showing exactly what I'm doing. I'd very
> much appreciate anyone taking a look at it, but especially Zaheed.
> The only thing I forgot to display in the movie is my search-servers.txt:
> localhost 8192
> localhost 8193
>
> Now, what am I doing wrong?
>
> t.n.a.

Anyone? Renaud, Zaheed, Feng?

t.n.a.

Re: Nutch with Drupal (PHP)

Posted by Robert Douglass <ro...@robshouse.net>.
And thanks Paul, I wasn't aware of the possibility of running Drupal
within Resin/Quercus. I'll have to give that a whirl!

-Robert

Re: Nutch with Drupal (PHP)

Posted by sub paul <su...@gmail.com>.

Nutch with Drupal (PHP)

Posted by Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zaheed Haque <za...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zaheed Haque <za...@gmail.com>.
On 9/14/06, Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Zaheed Haque <za...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi:
>
> I have a problem or two with the described procedure...
>
> > Assuming you have
> >
> > index 1 at /data/crawl1
> > index 2 at /data/crawl2
>
> Used ./bin/nutch crawl urls -dir /home/myhome/crawls/mycrawldir to
> generate an index: luke says the index is valid and I can query it
> using luke's interface.
>
> Does the "searcher.dir" value in nutch-(default|site).xml have any
> impact on the way indexes are created?

No it doesn't have any impact on index creation. searcher.dir value is
for searching only. nutch-site.xml is where you should change..
example...

<property>
  <name>searcher.dir</name>
  <value> /home/myhome/crawls</value>
  <description>
  Path to root of index directories.  This directory is searched (in
  order) for either the file search-servers.txt, containing a list of
  distributed search servers, or the directory "index" containing
  merged indexes, or the directory "segments" containing segment
  </description>
</property>

and the text file should be in this case ...

 /home/myhome/crawls/search-servers.txt

> > In nutch-site.xml
> > searcher.dir = /data
>
> This is the nutch-site.xml of the web UI?

Both. I mean tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/nutch-site.xml as
well as NUTCH HOME/conf/nutch-site.xml.

Web application needs to know where the search-servers.txt file is if
you plan to use tomcat to search.

Posted by Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com>.
On 9/5/06, Zaheed Haque <za...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi:

I have a problem or two with the described procedure...

> Assuming you have
>
> index 1 at /data/crawl1
> index 2 at /data/crawl2

Used ./bin/nutch crawl urls -dir /home/myhome/crawls/mycrawldir to
generate an index: luke says the index is valid and I can query it
using luke's interface.

Does the "searcher.dir" value in nutch-(default|site).xml have any
impact on the way indexes are created?

> In nutch-site.xml
> searcher.dir = /data

This is the nutch-site.xml of the web UI?

> Under /data you have a text file called search-server.txt (I think do
> check nutch-site search.dir description please)

/home/myhome/crawls/search-servers.txt

> In the text file you will have the following
>
> hostname1 portnumber
> hostname2 portnumber
>
> example
> localhost 1234
> localhost 5678

I placed
localhost 12567
(just one instance, to test)

> Then you need to start
>
> bin/nutch server 1234 /data/craw1 &
>
> and
>
> bin/nutch server 5678 /data/crawl2 &

did that, using port 12567
./bin/nutch server 12567 /home/mydir/crawls/mycrawldir &

> bin/nutch org.apache.nutch.search.NutchBean www
>
> you should see results :-)

I get:
------------

Posted by Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com>.
On 9/6/06, Zaheed Haque <za...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/6/06, Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/5/06, Zaheed Haque <za...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi:
> >
> > > In the text file you will have the following
> > >
> > > hostname1 portnumber
> > > hostname2 portnumber
> > >
> > > example
> > > localhost 1234
> > > localhost 5678
> > >

> > Does this work with nutch 0.7.2 or is it specific to the 0.8 release?
>
> I don't really know I have never tried 0.7. From the CVS it seems like it does
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/nutch/tags/release-0.7.2/conf/nutch-default.xml?revision=390479&view=markup
>
> but I don't know if the command structures are the same..

Just thought you might know of the top of your head, I'll go try it out.

t.n.a.

Re: how to combine two run's result for search

Posted by Zaheed Haque <za...@gmail.com>.
On 9/6/06, Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Zaheed Haque <za...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi:
>
> > In the text file you will have the following
> >
> > hostname1 portnumber
> > hostname2 portnumber
> >
> > example
> > localhost 1234
> > localhost 5678
> >

> Does this work with nutch 0.7.2 or is it specific to the 0.8 release?

I don't really know I have never tried 0.7. From the CVS it seems like it does

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/nutch/tags/release-0.7.2/conf/nutch-default.xml?revision=390479&view=markup

but I don't know if the command structures are the same..

cheers

Re: how to combine two run's result for search

Posted by Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zaheed Haque <za...@gmail.com>.
On 9/6/06, Dennis Kubes <nu...@dragonflymc.com> wrote:
> Are those like the shuttle boards?  Smaller 1/4 size boxes?

Yes I was actually thinking about the following:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives/spearhead/clusterserver/

But put 4 boards in 1U like these guys did..

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=267
http://www2.multithread.co.uk/images/lex_quad_motherboard_1u_case_large.jpg

and have the disks in another cabinet .. I don't think the price for
the hardware will be less but operating cost i.e. hosting/power will
be lot less. I would really like to get this a try :-)

Cheers

Re: how to combine two run's result for search

Posted by Dennis Kubes <nu...@dragonflymc.com>.
Are those like the shuttle boards?  Smaller 1/4 size boxes?

Dennis

Posted by Zaheed Haque <za...@gmail.com>.
Renaud:

Posted by Renaud Richardet <re...@wyona.com>.
Zaheed,

Posted by Zaheed Haque <za...@gmail.com>.
Hi:

Posted by Feng Ji <fe...@gmail.com>.
thanks, Renaud:

I figured out the same senario as your script, it works well.

Michael

Posted by Renaud Richardet <re...@wyona.com>.
@Dennis,

Posted by Dennis Kubes <nu...@dragonflymc.com>.