Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1997/01/30 02:19:32 UTC

mod_rewrite status

The problems with keeping mod_rewrite up to date have not been because
of Ralf failing to notify the group -- he has done so several times.
The problem is that "the group" does not commit changes to the source,
individuals do; in particular, an individual that can test the module
before committing it, or at least ensure that it shows up in the
status reports prior to a release so that others won't forget.
Sending a message to "the group" just doesn't cut it.

So, I suggest that we either give Ralf cvs access (which would require
that he monitor all the cvs output of Apache), or assign someone who
already has cvs access to be "the person" responsible for testing
and committing Ralf's changes.  I cannot do it because I do not have
a server running mod_rewrite.  Volunteers?

The other alternative is to not distribute mod_rewrite with Apache and
simply point to it from our documentation.  I think Ralf should decide
which one he prefers, since it is his code.

For future reference, I think it is unwise for externally-distributed
modules to be included with the Apache distribution.  The Apache code
needs to be under Apache change control.

.....Roy